Fine Mouse Control?

Using Blend 2.67 with a two-button mouse, I need to manipulate the screen accurately so I can get a particular edge perfectly horizontal, so I can extrude it correctly. Is there a button or something I can use to allow my mouse really fine control, as the default movement is very course and I can’t line my mesh up correctly. Yes, I’m a noob.

When moving a vertex hold down the Shift key for finer control

need to manipulate the screen accurately so I can get a particular edge perfectly horizontal, so I can extrude it correctly.
You don’t have to manually move a vertex to make an edge horizontal. Use the tools available to you.
Scaling an edge in the z axis will make the two end have the same z value
Use snapping (magnet icon on header) to snap one vertex to the same axis as another

Lets assume I have a cube. I rotate it on its Z axis by about 30 degrees. Now suppose I want to make this cube an oblong by extending one of its four sides which are at 90 degrees to the z axis, but I need to do it accurately. I can’t use the normal curser because it no longer lines up with the x and y axis. What is the best way to do this? My only option as I see it is to rotate my cube back to its original orientation. Surely there must be a better way.

Use the manipulator widget set to local (on/off and settings are in the 3D view header) or when doing transforms via hotkeys (Key-G, R, or S) doubletap the axis key. Ex: Key-S (scale) XX YY or ZZ.

-LP

Thanks for that, although it’s not quite there. Problem is, my Local manipulator does not match the orientation of my cube. Unless I can make it line up with my object, my only options are to move the screen around with my mouse until the edge/face I want is at right angles with my view so I can use the View mode manipulator, or just get it the best I can and simple guess and mess around with it until it looks about right (which seems a bad way of doing things)