[Finished!] 1973 Toyota Corolla WIP

Nice ride u got here keep it up!

Got wheels!

Hi-res here.

Aside from the wheels I had to do a lot of work on the body - I found a new set of awesome reference images and noticed for the first time a few details on the back of the body. On the front as well by the way, you can see the indentation behind the bumper. Maintaining decent topology was a challenge but I think I got it :slight_smile:

Really loving hard-surface modeling! More than ever I recommend checking out BlenderCookie’s Vehicle Modeling Series and actually doing it, great course and will get you really comfortable at this.

Next up, no idea! I’ll just keep detailing with no particular order :slight_smile:

Modeling is looking really slick, very impressive. Have you begum work on materials yet? If you have, I would bump up the spec value and maybe add mirror to it. If not, completely disregard that XD. Keep it up!

Thank you, I really appreciate the feedback! I haven’t worked on the materials yet, those are just to help seeing things, but I really can’t wait to get to that phase :slight_smile:

Another update from last Friday the 29th: here.

Did the door handle and key-hole, replaced the front bumper with a better base mesh and then detailed, license plate, various tweaks everywhere and also details on the back you can’t really see here (the Toyota letters on the trunk). I won’t have as much time as I want to this week and the next but the goal is to finish modeling the exterior by the end of next week, although there’s still quite a bit to do. It would be awesome to also have a basic interior by then, but that may need a bit more time. Anyway wish me luck :slight_smile:

Nice job, Fax, it makes me want to make another car :slight_smile:

Hey guys!
I’m back on this. Lots of details added meanwhile and I’m really looking forward to starting to think about the render soon! However I had to go back to adjust the main body because just realized it needed a change for the gas… thing. (How do you call that in English?) Aaaaand I need some topology help :slight_smile:

Here’s the thing I’m going to model. I only noticed now that the body actually has an indentation where the part connects to it.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4926844/faxonblender/misc/gas_thing.jpg

So where I used to have a straight surface, I had to make a cut. I managed to keep it somewhat clean, and that diamond quad doesn’t really affect the surface (it’s flat), but… I’m not sure about it, could it be better?
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4926844/faxonblender/misc/gas_thing_topo.png [hi-res, though only 290kb]
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4926844/faxonblender/misc/gas_thing_topo_flow.png [same but with flow indications, though only 290kb]

If you checked the second image, it’s mainly the blue flows I’m concerned about, but if there are any other problems please do let me know!

I’m really digging this. I like seeing older cars get modeled instead of the newer ones.

Hi fax, here is a quick paint over suggestion if all you wanted to do was get rid of that diamond quad just follow step one and two, I am not sure about other tweaks I would make I think would have to see more of the topology

One would be possible move that 5 valence pole from the vert its on, circled green, to the other I circled green.

Attachments

Thanks Ray :slight_smile: and thanks tyrant monkey! I thought I needed that extra loop in there to control the top left angle of the gas thing, but it turns out it looks fine without it so I happily accepted your suggestion. (adding the extra loop afterwards makes it worse since it runs all the way to the front where it’s already pretty dense and pinching starts happening).

I’m not sure I got your second suggestion though? Either way here’s a wider shot of the topology in that section:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4926844/faxonblender/misc/gas_thing_topo_wide.png

Its looking good overall, if its not too much work can you make full wire frame shots front, rear, side and top. I am not 100% sure but I could have some suggestions on reducing density. I should make one of these babies one day. My uncle used to have an old Datsun similar looking car so this corolla reminds me of his car

Wow, if it’s not too much work for you I’m more than happy to get your feedback! Here you go, let me know if there is any other detail shot I can take to help see things clearly:

(all files between 130kb and 360kb)
Front
Side
Rear
Top-ish

Front detail
Vents detail
Back detail
Back detail annotated
Back detail detailed

A google search for “toyota corolla ke20” provides an ok set of reference images, but here’s a good one for all the back problems: back reference

Edit: just noticed my annotation 2) in back-detail-annotated is wrong, the crease should be along the loop below.

I looked at most of your wireframes and the are not too bad. Perhaps maybe the only area I would tweak would be the door handle. I am not 100% sure what the photos look like of that area as I didn’t look at too many.

I am not a fan of having lines running close and parallel to each other when the don’t have to. when you want to sharpen an edge in sub-d modeling you cut parallel edges close to it. on the your door you have edges running close to each other so when subdivided the might look sharp or hard in an area that is pretty smooth.

Attachments

Thanks for taking the time to do that Tyrant Monkey, I really appreciate the review! I totally agree with the suggestion for the door handle, it’s exactly how I did the hole for the gas cap but I guess back when I did the handle I didn’t know the technique. Will re-do :slight_smile:

How do you like my fresnel lens? :slight_smile:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4926844/faxonblender/_projects/toyota/fresnel-lens.png

I must have been nuts to model it, quite a bit of work and it did feel pointless along the way, but the results on the test render (with Luxrender) were really worth it!

Anyway, modeling is close to an end. Will have a full wire to post soon :slight_smile:

very cool
my first car was a 1971 toyota corrola
got it in 1988 for 1 dollar and it only had 15 miles on it

Thanks darkcgi :slight_smile: Whaaaat, $1 ?! That’s what I call value for money!

Modeling done! It really seemed neverending. Click for full “wireclay” renders:

Front
Back

Now onto lighting and shading…

sorry man but can you post a wireframe of that fresnel lens I would love a closer like it looks fantastic in Lux with zero noise and some good texture you could pass it off as been real.

I just had a look at the rest of your wires excellent that is some quality modelling, you really did a lot of the interior I could see a seat belt in there and some other minor details.

Enough testing for today…

That Fresnel lense is stunning.