finland (fi_FI) (update 30/11)

(basse) #1

there’s update, scroll down…

well… this project was meant to show you, what Finland looks like, middle of summer… … it’s not quite yet there though, polar bears needs to be added and… well… you’ll see if I ever get that far.

here’s the current state of the picture:
http://basse.no-ip.org/blender/fi_FI_thumb.jpg
fullsize version here: http://basse.no-ip.org/blender/fi_FI.jpg

thanks for @ndy about great lesson in particles (for snow), and Hos for special Blender version…

.b

(BgDM) #2

Great stuff. The snow is great!! The DOF looks great as well. My only problem is with the beak and the feet on the penguin. They are too shiny/reflective for me.

Keep it up. Looks great.

BgDM

(Timonides) #3

Hey very nice pic… :smiley:

Is this something you’ve got with penguins or what??? :stuck_out_tongue:

Actually I like Finland… I had some students of mine from Finland and they show me some pictures from your country… I think the pictures were from Kuopio or something like that…

Very good work…

Keep blending…

Spyros.

(kaktuswasse) #4

hehe, great pic. The snow is amazing :o

But i agree with BgDM, that the feet of the penguin are too shiny.

cya henrik

(Andy Goralczyk) #5

wow… this turned out very good…
keep it up :slight_smile:
.andy

(bogbean) #6

That’s a really great picture - I love it!
The composition, the light, the snow - wonderful.

But… (there’s always a but, isn’t there!)… what is the blob on the end of the penguin’s beak? Looks odd to me. And is that a halo in the background behind the wing above the beak? That looks odd too.
Also, I think the fur on the ear muffs ought to be a little bit shorter - they just look a little bit too spikey at the top.

Keep up the good work.

(basse) #7

feet are shiny… I know… I actually havent even looked at them really. my main concerns were elsewhere. thanks…

about the strange thing on top of it’s peak… :slight_smile: heh… I know I know… it’s weird. first, it was a candle… then because it didn’t really look like candle, I started thinking it could be pile of snow. the halo is there, because it used to have flame too… :slight_smile: but the flame was HORRIBLE, I removed that…

earmuffs… I agree with the spikyness of the left one (nearest to the camera) … the one on the back looks alright to me… ? I think I try to add some more of those spikes and well see how it looks.

pose needs to be refined too I think… feet especially, they need to bend a bit.

and skontar: so you know then that we live in igloos, have pet penguins and fear to be eaten polar bears on daily basis!

thanks for all the comments… I’ll post the updated pic when I have something to show you… rendering takes some time actually, because of those mad particles. so my usual “move vertice, render, move vertice render, move slider, render…”-method doesnt work here :slight_smile:

.b

(JarellSmith) #8

Basse

Looks excellent. Maybe a few recommendations ( which you can ignore :slight_smile: ) :

Perhaps, change the snow peak on the end of the beak to an icicle hanging from below the beak.
Maybe, add a bit of “steam” or a little cloud to the mouth area to make it look like the penguin is breathing - makes it look more “alive” and reinforces the idea that it is cold out side.
If you like, maybe add a scarf,
Also, to me the snow looks a bit “blobby”, might look a little better if it were more “streaky”.

If you are doing test renders, why not reduce the particle count a bit?
Also, I was curious what method you used for focal blur?

Well try to stay warm
Bye.

(S68) #9

Very nice,

I like the image a lot.

BTW, are you aware that penguis live in SOUTH pole and Finland is pretty close to the north pole? How did he get there :smiley: ?

Stefano

(BgDM) #10

No, that isn’t Finland. That’s here in Canada. I go to work everyday on my dog sled. And on my way home, I stop and kill a Cariboo for supper. :wink:

BgDM

(Detritus) #11

LOL! :smiley: That looks almost like sweden! Great looking picture!

No crits that hasn´t already been said.

(Timonides) #12

You won’t believe that, but I envy you both…

Spyros.

(Alltaken) #13

well it don’t snow here for crap (ive only been in the snow twice in my life)

rain, wind and sun. and the occansional hail.

but thats about all we get (yeah the wind got to 148 kph and i was walking home in it, he he he most fun ive ever had , maybe thats why they call it the windy city)

it is a very COOL picture.

and i really like the car in the back.

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

(basse) #14

well thanks. it’s snowing here as we speak… and looking out of the window, my car starts to look like the one on the pic… which means, when I get home from work, I have to dig it out before I can head home :slight_smile:

windy city… heh. sounds nice, and when you combine that for rain, wowee… raindrops travelling millionmilesperhour sideways… it’s hard to keep your spirits up… heh.

and for all: I have some updates for the picture, I just have to render them… I decided to finally remove the leftovers from candle, and… well, you’ll see :slight_smile:

thanks for all the comments… GO WINTER!

.b

(basse) #15

ok, here’s the update I promised… it’s not much, but something…

http://basse.no-ip.org/blender/fi_FI_2_thumb.jpg
fullsize version here: http://basse.no-ip.org/blender/fi_FI_2.jpg

added snow on him
added icicles
tried to calm down the reflection on his feet
added breath
little thicker earmuffs
removed the rest of the candle :slight_smile:

.b

(paradox) #16

Cool I like the update. This is a cool picture, only problem it reminds me that it is winter here in Utah and although mild this year snow is coming probablly soon, but it does make glad I’m not that penguin. :wink:
Paradox