Fintan's Sketchbook

Thanks SandraDau I appreciate the comment.

drawing of a female this time. I find this much more difficult than drawing older males. I also wanted to try out graphite powder that i bought last week

1 Like

influenced once more by the style of Yim Mau-Kun

focusing here on laying in the shadow shapes and trying also to improve my edge control. …so many filters to consider when drawing

2 Likes

Wow, I’m enjoying your pencil technique very much. Super solid fundamentals too. Keep it up! :+1:

Thanks DreamMaster

I’m uploading this drawing again as it seems to have got lost during the website migration …and I’m quite happy with it :slight_smile:

old_man3

2 Likes

A couple more quick sketches done during the lunch hour

20180516_182142

old_woman_sargent

2 Likes

Gorgeous head profile.

trying to improve my anatomy knowledge through doing quick studies of academic drawings - primarily Russian but first one is from studying a drawing by Bouchardon (I messed up his right leg)

20180607_201752

1 Like

This one is based on a sketch by Jean-Baptiste Greuze. It only vaguely resembles the original but learned a bit about using line to convey value and volume. I definitely need to improve on both fronts but quite happy with this relatively quick effort.
20180607_201814_small

Greuze was a highly skilled draughtsman. I have not come across better drawings

1 Like

A study of a Russian portrait drawing. Proportions/positioning is a little off in places and shading is a bit patchy but I quite like it.
20180610_091615_small

2 Likes

Gorgeous portraits.

After a Russian portrait drawing

1 Like

A pivot away from the portrait sketches; my first ever écorché figure! Done during a two day intensive workshop at the Drawing Studio in Dublin. It was a modest result but I’m delighted to attempt one and learned a ton doing it.

studies of several William Orpen wartime portraits

1 Like

just wow!!

1 Like

Thank you! I’ve been turning to my art more and more in the last 12months and I love to hear your feedback

1 Like

Recently I’ve been focusing on painting with oil paint. I’ve attached my most recent effort which is a study of a painting by Sargent

Nice work I like the more painterly style which you have though you can keep working it to make it less painterly but why. I just started Using Oil Paint a few months back. Haven’t done more then 2 so far. I use a lot of wet on wet techniques. What Oil techniques you using for this?

1 Like

Thanks :blush: it is wet on wet completed over 3-4 hours. I’ve only properly started to learn oil painting myself. It is hard work, which I guess you can say about any new skill you try to acquire. A painterly approach is exactly what I’m shooting for :+1:

3 hour long pose completed during a life drawing class over Zoom using vine charcoal, conte, and Russian sauce on newsprint