Fire test using Nico's method...

I really liked Nico’s method for making fire, so tried the same technique and added a deflector as well.

I like how it turned out.

I didn’t save the scene and won’t be updating, but I put it here since it’s really just a technology test, rather than a finished work.

DivX AVI

cool. i have not done much yet with the dynamic particles, but i am just about to do some tests for some dynamic smoke.

now tune the mateiral to get some better fire texture.
hint: animate the material with ipo…
hint animate particle animation with texture.
hint: condensate the particle. put more of them and just drop down the halo power not to get a white spot.

recommandation: use that in a scene with stuff to burn! like and house. put the fire in an house to see the particle get out of the windows!

I believe the flame would buffet much more wildly than it does currently, when the deflector object goes over it. Actually, I think it should have more speed overall. Nice little test though, really.

Very cool!

Could you post the .blend?

Thanks!

That’s definitely very cool. :slight_smile: I can’t wait to learn how to do that kind of stuff. :wink:

I’d post the .blend, but I didn’t keep it since I was just playing around. :frowning:

The basic concept, as Nico showed me is the following:

  1. Instead of using norm or xyz forces on the emitter to shoot off the particles, use a force field above the emitter to pull on the particles instead.

I think this is really cool for 2 reasons. 1, it helps to focus the particles at a point like fire is apt to do. 2nd, it makes it really easy to animate a gust of wind or what have you by animating the location of the force field.

  1. Animating the halo size on the particle texture. This really helps with the tongue lashing effect of the flame.

  2. Use a fairly high RandLife setting also helps with the random flame tendrils

  3. The rest of the flame settings, I think you’ll find in most blender particle tutorials.

As for the deflector, it’s just a solid mesh with “deflection” turned on. I think I just left it at the default settings, though I may have played around with “dampening” a little bit.