Fire

I’ve read a few tutorials, picked the best tips I could find, and added a few touches of my own.
MyFire.avi
It needs the ‘fuel’ that is burning, but other than that any tips?

among the best blender fire I’ve seen. Not much can be done until blender gets voxel support.

I think it needs little more red, and the animation could be a little faster.

mitso - I’ve heard voxels talked about but what are they? why are they so awesome and what could you do if blender supported them

A voxel is a volumetrix pixel, say a 3D partition of space.
It’s useful to compute fluid flows for instance, or heat propagation, etc. So it shall be cool for computing fire or smoke.

But something I don’t wholy understand, though.
Because I guess the fluid simulator uses some kind of voxel implementation.
So could not other plugins (for fire) use the same method? It would not be very smart, I guess, in terms of programming, but it should work, shouldn’t it?
So is voxel implementation useful to an homogenous basis for multiple purposes?

EDIT : oops, by the way, Craven, great work on your fire :slight_smile:
It would use a little faster animation. The “emited” light look great!

i don’t really like the emitted light, it looks like you just animated the power of a single light.

try making another particle emitter with dupliverts on and a yellowy light parented to it… It might look better.

It’s four areas, but yes they all run of the same curve.

Never thought of that, that gives whole new level of control over the lighting, thx for that one, will work on it…

EDIT: There was a fairly pronounced effect and you could tell the lights were rising in height and then blinking out, so tried to fade them out slowly, I presumed the IPO curves for the light would behave the same as those for the materials attached to the partices on the fire emitter, but they don’t, after frame ~35 total darkness, damn! I was planning to do curves for the light colour too, not anymore.

It isn’t looking to shabby ATM tho, getting there…

No matter what I did I couldn’t get rid of the ‘lights are rising, then blinking out’ side effects. In the end went with a combination of the original IPO for the light intensity, and some particle objects to create random shadows for some light sources.

For the first time ever, I managed to get the node editor to do what I wanted (more than just play with it for academic purposes), and have to say what a useful function, I didn’t realize what all the fuss was about until now.

Also added logs to the fire, and reddened some of the lower flames a bit. It has become a bit complex now, like one of those ‘simple scripts’ you write that balloons out of all proportion until 3 months later you can’t remember how you made it work.

Before I ramble on anymore
fire-2.avi (775k)
and because I think the loss due to the codec actually improves the effect (sadly)
the (3.3meg) raw avi for those who really want to critique/help.
And because it’s more of a learning exercise than anything else the blend file (bz2 728k) so far.

dunno if you want but I think that if you want to add alot more realism then I suggest that you have some of the particle to randomly “swirl” when it rises. Most fires don’t burn straight upward even in a total calm (no wind). You also might want to have it so that there is another set of particle emitter set inside the current one but smaller and emits some slightly more reddish particle. Might help creates more of a realistic fire since most fires are not usually unformly even in color.

I don’t have much experiences with animating and particle yet so those suggestion I just wrote are speculation of what is possible to do with the fire.

Maybe for the curling effect you can have the fire color/alpha determined by an animated procedural texture.

The fire seems to “flow” in the raw file. I like your lighting set up.