Firefox 1.5 released

Main mozilla FTP: ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/1.5/
Oregon: http://mozilla.osuosl.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/1.5/

Get it while it’s hot.

If I’m not lazy I’ll add a mirror list later on. To keep some strain off the main mozilla site and mirrors, select a mirror near you from this list:
http://www.mozilla.org/mirrors.html

Some of those may not yet have the 1.5 binaries so sit tight :slight_smile:

or if you have been following the 1.5 beta and rcs you can just wait and it will do it automatically.

but you might want to get it before slashdot posts it in the next half hour.

OLD NEWS.

I read about this a whole HALF HOUR ago.

Pffft, it’s only Firefox, who cares? :stuck_out_tongue:

Hey, KDE 3.5 is out too, with a new Konqueror. :slight_smile:

its is the RC3 and not the final one

mozilla.org still says that firefox 1.5 is still in release candidate stage. . . have they not updated the webpage yet?

But I don’t see anything about a stable Firefox 1.5 release. :-?

What’s new in this release other than general security improvments?

The same thing happened with RC3, it wasn’t on the web site for a few hours after it was released.
EDIT: Mozilla.org now asks you to go to mozilla.com, where the link is posted.

Wow, all of my beloved extensions are incompatible with the new version.

Off to try to find newer versions, if possible… ugh…

It hasn’t been officially announced, but the mirrors don’t lie.
http://www.spreadfirefox.com/node/20564

This isn’t beta, this isn’t an RC, it’s the final 1.5 product

Here’s what’s in the new version:
-Error pages now are XHTML pages loaded in the tab/window that the error occured under, rather than new dialog windows.
-New navigation code make the page back/forward navigation much much faster
-New cleaner preferences dialog
-Drag and Drop tab reordering
-Cleaner menus
-Auto update system, without installers
-Canvas in xhtml/js
-New xhtml stuff

The extensions aren’t incompatible per se, they’re simply not labeled explicitly support 1.5, thus they won’t install or work. This is the extension author’s fault more than mozilla’s though.

My 3 extensions work fine though, Goggle Toolbar, Adblock Plus and Web Developer :slight_smile:

It hasn’t been officially announced, but the mirrors don’t lie.
http://www.spreadfirefox.com/node/20564

This isn’t beta, this isn’t an RC, it’s the final 1.5 product[/quote]
actually it is EXACTLY the same as RC3 [look at the checksums]

-Canvas in xhtml/js
-New xhtml stuff

[/quote]

Those reasons along is enough for me to update!

-Canvas in xhtml/js
-New xhtml stuff

[/quote]

Those reasons along is enough for me to update![/quote]

a true firefoxer would already be running the beta, or at least the rc. I am too lazy to update. my rc3 is identical to it, and all of the extensions still work.
:smiley:

I love FF. I do. But I feel like all the new features (tab re-ordering) really should have been included in the first place. Same with TB. They’re finally getting around to having multiple outgoing server support. Shouldn’t they have done that a LOOOOOONG time ago?

Yes, I am aware that this is opensource. But, it seems to me that these are things that should have been implemented to begin with. The main (only?) reason I stick with the Mozilla products is because I love the idea of extensions.

I used to like FireFox but it started making me angry. I don’t want to try to browse, I want to Browse. Mozilla started pukin’ up too. So I went with Netscape[ hides under rock…slowly peeks out]. No problems as of yet…I like that. I sure wish Opera was Open source.

It won’t be in the foreseeable future, but it sure is free. And without any ads. They changed their policy a couple months ago. But it still blows. Won’t work with my fancy CSS2 on a website I’m doing.

We’re not mad at you for using Netscape (I’m not, anyway.) Mozilla is a direct descendant of Netscape: it’s just the open source version of the same program.

Netscape [>] Mozilla [>] Firefox

In terms of chronology, you are correct. However, in terms of code-flow, I’m pretty sure that both Netscape and Firefox originate their source from the Mozilla project. Changing times… don’t you love it?

Let’s hope this change is for the better. The ultimate goal being to boot out IE from the browser market. After all, it still holds the lion share of it. :expressionless: