Firefox 1.5 released

The latest netscape is based on Firefox. :wink:

so how do i delete a search engine from the search engine list to the right?

i tried to add wikipedia, however it was corrupted so doesn’t have an icon, doesn’t have a name, and doesn’t work. now i cannot add wikipedia as a search engine :frowning:

it worked fine in my old one.

Alltaken

try this:

http://www.svenbader.de/anwendungen/e_firefox.htm

<edit>this only seems to work with pre 1.5</edit>

DK, it won’t get rid of my messed up Wikipedia search thing.

yeah, i actually posted that before upgrading to 1.5… it worked fine before, but i guess FF changed the location of their search plugins, so now the program is useless.

i was on the mozilla forum earlier and saw some folks with the same problem with the wikipedia engine:

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=347400

features such as uninstall and reordering of the search engines is on my FF wishlist.

i was disappointed when i installed 1.5 since it wiped out all my plugins, but no biggie i suppose.

I haven’t been all that impressed with 1.5. I’ve had nothing but problems so far…

I knew Mozilla was the Open Source child of Netscape. I dig it because there is a quick feature to change rendering engines for page development. As far as I know, IE, Netscape, Firefox and Opera all support CSS2 to some degree. There should be an option in the menu to let you choose styles and options to what version of CSS you want to use.

The end of the Web browser is coming. Web pages are going to be standalone applications that could be more easy checked for security and less prone to trojans…I think.

Flash based websites are effectivly an example.

Alltaken

that doesn’t sound more secure to me…

i was thinking the same :stuck_out_tongue:

Go into the directory where the FF application is installed. There should be a folder called ‘searchplugins’.

Inside this folder you’ll find the entries for the search bar plugins. If your Wikipedia one is corrupted, just delete the wikipedia.src file.

You can manually create a new one using a text editor.

&lt;search
   version = "7.1" 
   name="Wikipedia"
   description="Wikipedia search"
   method="get"
   action="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Search"
&gt;

&lt;input name="search" user&gt;

&lt;/search&gt;

If you save a 16x16 gif image with the same base name (wikipedia.src, wikipedia.gif) it will use it as the icon.

I used to use the search bar a lot, but have found that keywords are much easier to use.

On any site with a form (like wikipedia’s search) right click the form and choose “add a keyword for this search”. Give it a name (anything descriptive) and choose a keyword (like ‘wiki’) and choose where to save it (I usually use the ‘quick searches’ folder).

You’ll then be able to use the search by just typing
‘wiki mySearchTerm’
in the URL bar.

This turns out to be very fast for me as I’m used to using the ctrl-L combination to enter new URLs anyway. So I can just ctrl-L, and then do my searches without having to mouse to the search bar (ctrl-K gets you to the search bar) and having to choose what engine.

For example, I have these keywords set up
g (google)
wiki (wikipedia)
dict (dictionary)
ebay (ebay)
imdb (imdb)

I almost never actually use the search bar anymore.

I just d.loaded FF last night and loaded in some of my fav extentions and slapped on a new skin. So far it seems faster than Opera. But I have my doubts, it freaked out during installation…crabbin about Chrome and something, it was flickering and I clicked it away before I read it all because I thought a bunch of em where opening up. I just like the Mouse Gestures(Blender-like) and the Blogger extension. There are just way too many browsers.