FireGL

Has anybody used an ATI FireGL series card with Blender? Does it work better than some other ATI cards since it has OpenGL support?

:o :o :o

YOU HAVE ONE OF THOSE???

my processor is costing less than that… (64 bit its not cheap)

No, I don’t have one. I was just wondering about performance if I was to get one.

start by buying one

actually…

okay, here is how it goes

ati has stopped putting a reasonable amount of effort into their opengl drivers. the firegl line would be their workstation cards, but has pretty much died with lack of driver development.

if you notice the linux ati drivers are the firegl drivers…

well anyway, you would be better off with an nvidia card for blender, period

if you want a workstation card nvidia has the quatro line (and a mobile quatro chipset, dunno if it is out yet)

honestly, my blender recommended card is a geforce 2, cheep, and reasonable until you get the skillz to get the money to get the new card

tho not a gaming card [these days] by any means, it runs blender fine

I have a ATI FireGL 8800 128 meg of ram…

Blender issues:

Super slow screen refreshes.
Pegs my processor to 100% when rendering anything!! Even a cube and a plane.
The longer you have a file open the slower it gets. If you close a .blend file and re-open it, it works perfectly, but immediately starts slowing back down.

I tried several hundred registry hacks and every driver ATI offers for it and still nothing…

I personally spoke with ATI, since I spent a fair amount of money with them, and they said “It is a Blender issue with thier card not an ATI issue.”

They are right, because the card flies with the 3D Benchmark 2004 test. Even games are incredible fast with it… I turn on every game option and nothing seems to slow this card down… just Blender.

I went to Maya’s video card recommendation website and this card is high on their list, so that is why I bought it… I know Maya doesn’t use OpenGL for it’s navigation, but Maya loves this card… I haven’t had any problems using it with Maya… complex scenes and animation and it smokes…

I saw a new area on Blender.org to report video card issues with Blender, so I guess I’ll head over there and post my issue…

______SysAdm

I had the same problem with a Radeon 8500 and Catalyst 4.3, also 4.2 . I now run 3.9 without any problem. Unfortunately I also installed the driver as a stand alone first and then the control panel that time, rather than using the bundle like I did to install 4.3 and 4.2 : this way I modified two variables at the same time so I can’t say what solved the problem.

Jean

Wasn’t there a post almost identical to this 2 weeks ago? Search people!

Oh look, here it is

The other ATI drivers have OpenGL support too, but all of their drivers don’t support OpenGL well. I’ve heard from other coders about strange bugs when doing various things with OpenGL that screw up FireGL cards…

The problem SysAdm described so well wasn’t part of that thread. Indeed I was wondering if I were the only one experiencing it.

Jean

You’re making wrong points here I guess, because almost all games on Windows use Direct3d and I even think that’s what 3D Benchmark benchmarks.

I should have been more clear… most games give you an option of DirectX or OpenGL… I pick OpenGL and they work great… no problems…

Also… the 3D Benchmark has specific OpenGL tests… these all do extremely great… no problems…

Blender on the other hand… acts like I’m filling up a bucket with water… the longer you’re in a file, the slower (heavier) it gets… once you QUIT Blender a re-open the file it’s like empting the bucket again…

______SysAdm

There is a difference.

Blender uses OpenGL to render it’s interface AND the 3D viewport. That is why other 3D apps and games using OpenGL can work fine. The problem is probably the 2D OpenGL functionality that Blender uses, and making that functionality robust is probably overlooked by certain driver production teams.

Now don’t even mention DirectX, and MANY games still using OpenGL under windows. Quake1/2/3, Soldier of Fortune 1 and 2, Return to Castle Wolfenstien, Jedi Knight II, Jedi Academy, etc, etc

you’re just getting started

Unreal, Tournament Edition, U.T. 2003, and 2004 (option in config file in windows, used in linux as there is no directx)
Tribes 1, 2
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
Star Trek: Voyager - Elite Force
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine : The Fallen
Soldier Of Fortune, and Soldier Of Fortune II : Double Helix
Homeworld games
Hitman games
Hexen II
Heretic II
Quake engine games (half life 1, heavy metal faak 2…)
Descent3
Doom III

well anyway, I am wondering if the slowdown on ati cards has something to do with the event stuff in ghost… I really need to learn about how ghost works and debug blender to find this error. (I have windows xp now so I am getting back on my feet, but the errors are still there)

FireGL X2 - 256
WinXP

The UI reacts very smoothly even with complex scenes.
In fact, Zooming in and out has more of a “hair-trigger” response to it, but I’m adapting.
However, this is only the case with the original driver.

I tried 3 newer drivers with the idea that perhaps they would be more refined, but in each case encountered the effect described by SySAdmin.
I’ve reinstalled the original driver and things are back to normal.

I found a place on their site for the older drivers for my card… I will give that a try… (I swear I thought I already tried this)

Also… I just got off the phone with ATI (again)… they also mentioned to make sure my motherboard has the latest chipset driver updates and that it is using the AGP main board driver not PCI… If you go into Display Properties and go to ADVANCED and then the INFO tab (only on boxes with a FireGL card), it should say Transfer mode: AGP not PCI…

I will give this a try when I get home tonight…

_____SysAdm

[quote=“SysAdm”]

I found a place on their site for the older drivers for my card… I will give that a try… (I swear I thought I already tried this)

Also… I just got off the phone with ATI (again)… they also mentioned to make sure my motherboard has the latest chipset driver updates and that it is using the AGP main board driver not PCI… If you go into Display Properties and go to ADVANCED and then the INFO tab (only on boxes with a FireGL card), it should say Transfer mode: AGP not PCI…

I will give this a try when I get home tonight…

_____SysAdm[/quote]
this has been said before, but anyway

the ati catalyst drivers 3.9 and probably earlier (I have only used as early as 3.5) don’t seem to exibit this problem

also, blender 2.23 and earlier doesn’t seem to exibit this problem

ton says (there is a thread on blender.org) that after 2.23 blender switched from using glut (to handle user input, window creations stuff) to ghost

ati firegl 87000
i have the same problem like SysAdm.
if u want 2 buy a cad gfx-card, then your´re better wit a nvidia quadro 4 using blender wit it!

John Carmack, the lead programmer for ID Software (makers of the Doom and Quake series) hates ATI for its poor OpenGL support. I can’t believe that ATI told you it’s a Blender issue, when industry gurus complain regularly about their pathetic OpenGL support. Carmack has stated that when he has a problem on Nvidia cards, he rewrites his code, but when he has a problem on ATI cards, he submits a bug report. I think we need to start submitting bug reports by the thousand – maybe they’ll listen.

I wrote an extremely simple game that utilized OpenGL; it barely ran at 15 frames per second on ATI hardware, and all I was drawing was a couple hundred points and two triangles. Of course, it flies on pretty much anything else.

If you want to use Blender, get a card made by Nvidia or 3dlabs, two companies that actually care about OpenGL.

Matt

My experiance with ati has been less than satisfactory…

The drivers suck, and they don’t evne make decent ones for linux.

Stick with nvidia for now, as I will do from now on.

I also thought about getting a fire GL card, the specs look outstanding. However, I have a Radeon and hate it. Great piece of electronic engineering paired with the worst driver support anywhere. This card causes a BSOD in windows about once a week regardless of driver version (page fault errors in non paged memory, no question its the ATI card and drivers causing it) and offers no real acceleration under Linux. The Mesa demos work, but slow down drastically when the window size is increased. ATI advertises “the most stable drivers in the industry” but I couldn’t tell you what industry they mean. It sure isn’t the graphic card industry!

I even tried to install ATI’s own propietary drivers for Linux. After verifying my Xfree86 version with the shell script ATI provides, I dl’ed the correct RPM and it wouln’t install, due to incompatibility with the version of Xfree86 the driver was specifically supposed to work with. What a joke.

I’m saving up for an Nvidia card so I can replace my ATI card because ATI drivers SUCK.

Not a satisfied customer,
Tommy