Fireguard

Hi,

I’m modelling a fireguard - as seen in attached image. I’ve created a mesh (also attached) and I’m intending to shrink wrap this around a fireguard shape mesh form before using the skin modifier to give the mesh wires thickness.

Can anyone possibly offer a better way to apporoach this (or see any pitfalls in this method!??).

Many thanks in advance

Attachments

I would highly recommend looking into the tissue addon. It’s perfect for this application.

Thanks Sterling Roth, i’ll have a look at that! When i started this i intuitively thought this would be a fairly straight forward procedure but the more i;ve looked at it the more I’ve seen how un-straightforward it is. Thanks again

you could also take a procedural wire mesh texture like that
don’t remember which page but look in this thread

happy bl

A textures with alpha (transparency) should do the tricks too. I use this for curtains.

I’d make a model of the “mesh” area subsurf until the mesh is the desired width for the wires then delete faces only. Convert to curve and bend curves to desired waviness (like you did). Thicken wires and convert back to Mesh.

Thanks Ricky,

I’m actually modelling this to 3D print so the wiremesh texture needs to be part of the topology. Will your suggestion be viable for this? I;ve looked through the link but isn;t too clear.

Thanks

Thanks Lane, the mesh wire needs to be part of the physical topolgy so i can 3D print the model…i;m guessing your suggestion won;t work for this application!??

Oh my god, you want to 3d print that mesh?

why/how?

Ha! I’m going to fill all the holes so it will a texture rather than a mesh…if that makes sense!??

Hi,

Reposting this from yesterday as I omitted some vital information from the original post.

I’m modelling a fireguard based on the image attached. I want to ‘tile’ the fireguard shape form (image2) with the mesh texture (image1). The model is intended to 3D printed so the mesh texture must have topology (rather than a rendered material texture). I;ve tried doing this with the Tissue add on, but it creates an unmanageably high poly count!

Can anyone offer any solution?

Thank you.

first check out what is the minimum size you can print in 3D
depends on selected material for printing it

but I doubt you can do that in 3D with so much small details !

happy bl

I’m not sure how you can get around crazy high poly counts for that level of detail, if you need a polygonal mesh. Echoing Ricky, check your output resolution on your 3d printer. That formed wire detail would be hard/impossible to print at full size, let alone at any reduced scale.

Not everything needs to be 3D printed. It’s a similar problem to those trying to print out screws/bolts, there’s something commercially available that does the job better and cheaper.

Get some brass mesh (enough for a couple of pieces, since you’re going to mess up the first try or two).

Moderation: This thread was posted twice. I’ve merged the replies into a single thread.

Thanks for the tip, Dgorsman! I’m sure it wouldn’t be only the first 2 i messed up:Dhttps://www.facebook.com/srmodelmaking/

I agree with you that using real materials can be an advantage. Doing a one-off is going to be extremely labor intensive however for this if the desire is to make it look like a manufactured item.

If the screen is similar to the one shown, the surface is not developable, meaning it cannot simply be unfolded like a sheet of paper. The wire has been pressed into a form (mold) and has stretched smoothly. Its unlikely that anything close to this could be achieved by hand alone. Sure, it could be hammered it into a curve shape but its going to look hammered, not smooth.

…just to clarify guys…i’m not looking to physically build this. I’m a professional model maker so building it myself is well within my skill set. I’m wanting to print it as i don’t have any of required tools etc. with me currently. Thanks

Ok… i have maybe a start of explanation… but i have not have much time for test the result ( too much work )…

• create a plane ( in my case 1:1 ) … in edit mode, use subdivide…

• Modifier " decimate " … iteration 1, apply the modifier. ( not needed if the mesh need to stay straight )

• In edit mode… select all ( a ) and delete " only faces"… you will obtain a 2D mesh

Now this is where the thing start too be tricky… I was think first to use solidify, but the problem is the normal are going crazy.

So i have decided to try it differently… convert mesh to curve > and play on resolution depth etc for get the soldifiy effect, then you can come back to a mesh ( convert curve to mesh, dont forget to remove doubles )…

Now, with the shape of your fireguard, before creating the 3Dmesh, i will create the shape of the fireguard, then use shrinkwarp modifier on it with the 2Dmesh… and then apply it, convert to curve > add tthe depth ( for obtain a 3Dmesh ( remove doubles ) and then convert it back to mesh.

Im sorry i cant testt it fully right now, but well i hope it can give you some idea.

Now as some have pointed it, 3Dprint a so dense mesh require a 3Dprintter who is able to print a mesh at this size. the only ones i know who are capable of this are for medical printing. YOu will need too check the minimum size it can print.

I think the final mesh should be printable.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]513090[/ATTACH]