First animation project - Waluigi dancing (please critique!)

Hello. I just learned blender a month ago and I finished my first animation: Waluigi dancing to “So What” by Loona.

I only rendered it in viewport as I thought the lighting aren’t necessary for now and I only focused on the animation. Also, I just played around with the camera that’s why the angles are kinda crappy (I’m trying to improve too my shooting skills lol).

I would really appreciate any feedback and criticism! I’m really trying to improve in Blender as I’m a beginner :(((

5 Likes

This was enjoyable!

Only thing I’d like to see is more movement & evidence of exertion in the facial expressions. Fun stuff, either way.

1 Like

Thanks! I will try to improve on my next animations using your feedback ^^

1 Like

Nice one!!!

1 Like

It’s enjoyable. Impressive for 1 month. Not sure if you know of MMD, but I got those vibes. To improve I’d say watch some dancing and try to copy it as exactly as possible. After that the next step would be to try to improve the dance.

1 Like

Thanks! I actually searched a solo cover of the dance online and I put the video as the background in the camera so I can copy the moves and key them for waluigi’s rig (as seen below)

Btw what can I do to improve the dance? I haven’t mastered the graph editor that much yet so as you can see in the video, I’m kinda having trouble making the animation smooth and most of the time waluigi’s dance moves are kinda stiff and robotic.

p.s would you recommend mmd? I actually don’t know what the software is so I did a little bit of research and apparently it’s an animation program?? Is it better than blender and should I switch to mmd or stay in blender? Thanks again :))

Only from your one screen shot I can see the two poses being different. The leg angles are wrong because Waluigi is not close enough to the ground. The whole figure of Waluigi with the big hands and head it kind of throwing perspective off. In the picture the hand should be above the head for instance and that can’t really be done in the same way with Waluigi because his head is so big. It might help to get a different character in there with more reasonable proportions.

This rig would be better, but there are a lot of others. This is just the first free one I found.

Now that you did your first one with the video in the background maybe do the second without the video in the background. It will be harder, but looking back and forth between the video and the animation will help exercise the brain in the poses. It will make future work better.

With the graph editor I’m not sure I can help much. I don’t like using the graph editor whenever possible. It’s why I got MotionTrail3D. I use the graph editor only for sweeping changes like making things linear or something like that. I kind of feel like I should not give too much advice though as I’m pretty new to animating in Blender as well. Maybe for both our sakes we could do a dance animation battle where we both animate the same dance and compare. We can then share what we each learned while animating the dance. Even without the dance battle the more animation you do the better you will get.

Between MMD and Blender I’d say stay in Blender. It’s got more tools for animation. MMD is more simple and some people like that, but it will get in the way when you want to go more advanced later. You can also get a job as an animator with Blender. I’ve not tried MMD much though. The little I tried MMD made me not like it. It is so simple with so few options it felt like it was restricting my freedom.

Thanks for the tips! I agree that waluigi’s proportions aren’t that accurate especially with his big head and big hands lol and that’s why I failed to exactly mimic the dance moves (actually I also just got lazy in some parts and I just roughly copied the dance moves for the rig). The reason why I chose waluigi is because a friend requested me to animate him specifically to dance to the specific song and yeah that’s why the animation has a specific dance and dancer lol. So yeah, as you said, I think a more human model would help in animating future projects.

As for the animation battle, I would love to do one sometime!! Sadly though I’m kind of busy and dealing with some stuff rn but you can message me anytime in the future if u want so we can do the battle ^^. (Heads up tho I’d probably lose… you, sir, have wayy more experience than I am! :((()

Thanks you again for the tips!