First Blender Model - Seeking Feedback

Hi guys,

First post. I’m taking my first steps with Blender after working through a few tutorial videos on different subjects. I wanted to create a simple model to apply what I learned, so I decided to make a barrel. Now that the modeling is complete, I wanted to get some feedback on what I did right and what was wrong. Here are some photos for your reference:

Some specific questions that I have are:

• For two ports on the top of the barrel, I just added a new primitive while in edit mode for the main mesh. I created the shape and then moved it into place on the barrel. Is this the proper way of doing something like this or was my approach completely goofy?
  • I added a face to the bottom of the two top ports. My thinking was that this would make texturing easier. Sensible? Crazy?
  • How does the UV map look? I manually marked seams and cut the barrel down one side.
  • Triangle count is 1,452. I’m trying to learn how to model for games. Too high?

Thanks for your feedback!

I just added a new primitive while in edit mode for the main mesh.

That is fine. For extra detail like that model can be made simpler that way.

I added a face to the bottom of the two top ports.

Good idea.

How does the UV map look?

Try making barrel mesh even with vertical and horizontal grid pattern. It will be easier to texture.

I’m trying to learn how to model for games.

For Game, mesh count needs to be less. The illusion of round barrel can be created with the use of Normal map.

Can u explain how to use or what is Normal map??

There are lots of normal map tutorial on the web. Just search for it.

Thanks for the help bro…

Thanks very much for the feedback. I really appreciate it!