First Blender Rig By Sudai

Sudai,

So far I’ve only done a few test animations with that rig, and none of them were worth posting (I’m not an animator!), but we are planning a few animation competitions within the OpenWorld Film team to see who can do what with it, and find any bugs in the process. These will be two-weekly 10-20 second, themed animations. Although they were intended as training exercises for the OWF team, I’m sure there would be no problem if anyone else wanted to join in.

Matt

Hi Matt
the animation contests sound good but I also dont consider myself as an animator no doubt I will be when I finish my concept, but lots to learn and do until I get to the stage of entering comps. I just like seeing what other people do with there hard work shame I’m on dial up at the moment.

I done a bit more modelling on the “Basic” mesh to go with the rig and applied the default heat maps to it for a quick test, the character poses well (see pic) so should be good when I set it up with decent wieght maps it was certainly fun seeing my rig work ok.

Sudai

Attachments

Very interested wip, your character is very nice

Thanks Kunta

Hopefully the model gets better over the next few days, its been full on trying to understand that rigging stuff and I’m way overdue for some modelling practice, I will see
what my weight painting is like tommorow…

I really like it. Having a mouth and some eyebrow controls would be great. I would love to animate it.

thedaemon I really like it. Having a mouth and some eyebrow controls would be great. I would love to animate it.

HI I will see what I can do with the head definatly want to redo it, it looks to much like a box, Cleand up the hands and done some work on the body, so much for it being a basic mesh…man organics are hard :spin:

Attachments

Many many thanks joeedh; yours is the BEST explanation (on how IPO driven Ik<>Fk switch works) that I’ ve found after googleing for almost three days (and their nights!), looking for the set up of this feature. I didn´t understand the full process but know i do! Thanks again! :smiley:

I’m not really up on the O&G jobs. But I was wondering if someone could give me a overview of what a “Cased Hole Supervisor” does.

Thanks

Hi
added FK ctrl shape bones for the head and neck, and done some more tweaks to the upper body and attached the new hands, A note for other new Riggers out there dont lock down any of your bones untill you finalized your mesh unclicking all those padlocks was not fun :no: live and learn i guess lol :slight_smile:

Sudai

Attachments

Hi

Finaly had another go at the IK switches for the arms, got the one driver bone turning off the Ik on the Forearm and copy IK rotation on the hand bone now the arm its totaly IK free at the flick of a switch :smiley:

When i was assigning default one to one mapping in the IPO window I was getting X max =18 and Y max =1, so of course keyed in 1 to get back to how it was supposed to be, not major just thought it was strange I’m using blender 2.49

Many thanks to Joe (Joeedh) for the IPO tips

Sudai

Attachments

Heres the latestes progress pics.

Thanks jpbouza for pointing me in the right direction with regards to the IK FK jump it
works good now.

Sudai :slight_smile:

PS you will only see the Ctrl shape bones and the mesh when animating

Attachments

Hi
I made some changes to the UI and relocated hip pelvis bones to a better position also
fixed up some control bone pivot locations, Still have a couple of items I want to add to the setup before I focus on my modelling which is still in the sucky moto stage at the moment, but i’m slowly remembering my old lightwave 5.0 skills which is good

Attachments

Here is the lastest version of the rig if you want to check it out.

Attachments

Sudai_Rig_11_06_09.blend (277 KB)

And here is todays work this time with a basic mesh so you can take it for a good run, walk or Jump.

Sudai :slight_smile:

Attachments

SUDAI_RIG_DEMO.blend (392 KB)

Hi, I forgot to move Hand_L and Hand_R to bone layer 4 here’s the update or you can go to bone layer 2 select Hand_L and Hand_R press M and selcect bone layer 4 to move them.

Sudai :o

Attachments

SUDAI_RIG_DEMO.blend (392 KB)

thank u for sharing this, I’ll try it tomorrow it looks great on the pictures!

No worries :slight_smile: The mesh is lame but will be updated, I think the basic mechanics of the rig are sound , I put on those cool streching lines that go to the pole targets yesterday they definatly help with setting the position of the elbows and knee’s will upload it at a later date.

Well heres the other low poly character Gudge, and a couple of other tweaks definatly going to have a day off tomorrow…:spin:

Sudai

Attachments

SudaiRig_14_06_09.blend (415 KB)

The rig above has heat weight maps with some quick edits, I plan to do some custom weight maps for Gudge, if they turn out ok I will upload the rig again.

Sudai

Finaly getting round to building another head for Gudge this time he’s found some lips.

Sudai

Attachments