First Finished Proj. - Sneaky Robot [UPDATED]

I think I’ve finally learned enough to do something somewhat complete, and this it.
I’d love to hear what folks think. All crits are welcome.
http://ocularbl0g.scottmaher.net/hosted/rkm18.jpg

Full 1680x1050

what is it
??

you should add ssome more lights to brighten up your robot,

Hmm it definately is a dark scene and perhaps my monitor is all out of whack.
I did have some extra lights to bring him out at one point. But it felt to me over lit.

Clearly it’s a big green science core thingy :smiley:

wooow…
here is a picture with a story, with something happening and a clear esthetic will, not just (but is) a technical exploit. lightning is great and oppressive. perhaps the metal walls and pipes could have a very little shinny reflexion, like the pipe under the green light. but it’s ok like that.
(sent to my desktop)

It looks damn fine. Can’t find critics sofar, eccept for the green lighted tower. It looks “fake” compared to the beautyfull lighting in the foreground.

Good job though

Thanks guys,

perhaps the metal walls and pipes could have a very little shinny reflexion

definitley on the pipes and such camera left, I messed with the shaders for hours and just couldnt get it to happen, I’ve since learned specular mapping so maybe i’ll go back and fix it one day.

… eccept for the green lighted tower. It looks “fake” compared to the beautyfull lighting in the foreground.

Yeah i agree I think i spent so much time with lighting and nodes and whatnot that i just accepted it for what it was. so it goes.

I like it. I agree with the comments above though with the core thing. Maybe even try just change the material to a light blue? The foreground seems to have more blue hues to it and the green just doesn’t seem to match. If the robot is the most important thing then maybe blur the background a bit. I think a part of the issue is the green is fairly bright so your eye kind of jumps there. Even with no changes I think it is great though.

cool pic, For some reason, I’m fond of the grate :smiley:
The pose for teh dude looks kinda forced tho, not very natural. I think his back might need some bending forward, ya dig? like he’s tryin to keep himself outta sight?

The pose for teh dude looks kinda forced tho, not very natural. I think his back might need some bending forward, ya dig? like he’s tryin to keep himself outta sight?

yeah there is something about the pose thats not quite right. I was sneaking around my apartment trying to figure it out. Scared the crap out of my girlfriend :D.
The thing is he’s looking back over his shoulder and your shoulders come up and back winds up almost straight(or mine did anyway). Very good point about the mood of his posture.
I’m gonna play around some more with it. I gotta get one of those wooden posing figures.

Thanks

I agree with the bending of the pose a bit, but the way I saw it was that he heard a noise while sneaking and stiffed up. If you think of it like that it is somewhat natural. If you had a shadow coming out of that doorway it would make more sense and build some tension.

i don’t have any problems with this, it is an excellent scene. keep up the good work!

I too think you’ve done a good job with this scene so far, my comment/crit would be the numbers on the pad on the left.
The pad is in almost complete darkness, yet you can see the numbers, yet they cast no light. So you could fix that, but I really like the job you’ve done. :slight_smile:

Marslyr

i don’t have any problems with this, it is an excellent scene. keep up the good work!

Wow thanks a lot!

The pad is in almost complete darkness, yet you can see the numbers, yet they cast no light.

good eye! I think maybe just a little blue spec reflection on the bot’s forearm will do the trick. I think I’ll post an update eventually

Thanks all

Try googling solid snake or sam fisher or some other sneaky dude, i think they have some good sneaky poses. Unfortunately, i couldn’t find an entire pic of what i wanted :frowning:

Weird, your gf didn’t notice me sneaking around in there :smiley: hee hee hee. Naww, but for real, just jokin. We good? Knuckles.

Huh, I’m not sure I get the shoulder thing. For me, i can rotate my shoulders, so one goes up, and the other down if i wanted to look at the camera… Maybe I’m looking into this too much :eek:<<<< that’s me. Looking into it too much.

Dude, I like it, esp the pipes and railings and things. Although I immediately recognized the big green science core thingy as a big green science core thingy, I’m not sure I like it that much. I don’t think you should pitch it, I mean big green science core thingies are awesome. But from a purely un-technical standpoint, something needs to change. I think its the ovalish thingies. Look online for pics of science core thingies for inspiration. It needs a little more detail (but not so much that it drowns out the rest of the scene) and some better shapes. As is it has a sort of gingerbreadhousey feel–like a lot of small objects that don’t mesh well have been precariously stacked atop one another.

Anyway, just my two cents on the big green science core thingy :smiley:

[blue]

Really cool.
How about render time?

@bluetygr
Thanks, what you say is true. I have a bit a script behind this and from a technical point of view the big dumb core doo-dad makes no sense, but in the context of a single frame there had to be some singular thing to represent the goal/enemy. I just never had in my head anything very concrete. Thus the big dumb core thingy was born.

@jawra
Well on my massive renderfarm of, one crappy laptop with thermal issues, it takes about 2 hours. I’ve done a lot to keep the time down. Out of 50 lamps only 6 cast shadows and only one of those 6 has a sample above 1. No AO no no Radio, trans or mirror. 210k faces. I would guess a real workstation could get this done in 10-30 mins (totaly a guess i have no idea).

Thanks again everybody for your coments, they’ve been very helpfull.
An update is on the way if can stop wasting 2 hours at time with silly mistakes.
blend on

Let me reitterate: the core thingy is not dumb, it just needs a little…help. :smiley:

BTW, just out of curiosity, what are the exact specs on your massive renderfarm? I have a feeling I’m working with a similar setup…:eyebrowlift2:

You might wanna check out GreenButton (https://www.greenbutton.co.nz/). Haven’t tried it yet but it looks good.

[blue]

Just posted an update, nothing major. Tweaked the pose a bit added another half dozen lamps here and there, and made the keypads less ginormous.

@bluetygr: I’m on an fairly recent HP with Dual 1.9Ghz AMD, Built-in shared mem Nvidia and 4G ram. Running Debian Linux.

Which wouldn’t be all bad except it overheats everytime you look at it.
So doing anything heavy causes it to throttle down to 800Mhz :no:

I did try greenbutton actually, not impressed at all, in fact my craptop did the work faster so something wasnt working for sure. They are in beta still so who knows.

awesome stuff, i like :smiley: