First Impressions of Rhino 3

I know a lot of these threads degenerate into lockdown flamewars but I just got my student version of rhino 3 and at first I really didn’t like the interface. it seemed a little sluggish without keyboard shortcuts and it’s button and tab heavy, with a lot of clutter in the modeling view. Now, obviously you can’t compare blender a free open source program with a well established commercial and industrial-strength product (the booleans do kind of make me cry tears of happiness); they are apples and oranges. but one feature I LOVE in rhino after getting used to it is the command line feature, a searchable database of all commands available, period. you can also write scripts and formulas directly into it. This is almost as handy if not handier (minus extra typing time) than keyboard shortcuts, and doesn’t seem like it would be a huge undertaking. in fact, I’m sure there’s a script for this already, but it would fit nicely into a future release, IMHO.

a) You can currently open a python window in Blender and script yourself.
b) There is a full list of shortcut keys available in the Help menu, as well as listed beside every option in all the Menu items, (i.e. View, Mesh, etc.)

The only thing that Rhino really has that Blender does not, is actual proper Nurbs.

And I can’t beleive I posted in one of these threads because, as you stated, it always gets locked.

Oh well.

BgDM

Heh, that may be ‘the only thing’, but its huge. Rhino is pretty much tops when it comes to NURBS.

I would also argue that Rhino’s command line isn’t really equivalent to Blenders Python scripting. From a end user interface standpoint they are very different.

Cheers,
Xarf

@Zarf :
The man talked about scripting and from that point of vue there or in a text editor I’d rather do it in a text editor.

BTW, TheNodeRanger, Blender has to some degree a history of undo that can be searched. Also, from my experience with Rhino and AutoCAD (that is where it comes from) nobody ever look at it : too much work to do, no time.

I love Rhino : it is the only expensive software that I own since V1.0 and I too will cry when Blender gets event remotely decent NURBS. Now to compare Blender to Rhino is no feasible as you say. Yet I’d like to point out that Rhino is a very specialized, very limited program. What Blender can do that Rhino can’t I couldn’t imagine beginning to list.

Jean

“the only thing that Rhino really has that Blender does not, is actual proper Nurbs.”

BgDm I’m going to hold you to that…:wink:

from what I’ve seen so far there are a few more things rhino can do Blender can’t… cough snapping cough

please don’t have me banned.

:eek:
:D:D:D

“Ricky: The thing with kids and growings and getting learnings and stuff is that… You can’t lie to them. Basically, if you wanna tell the children they can’t do something they’re gonna want to do it more. When I was young I did all kinds of crazy shit and I turned out wicked. That’s because my dad was fuckin’ cool, he let me do shit. I was allowed to drive his car around the park, basically took my dirt bike to school, let me grow dope in his shed in grade 7. You know, that’s what good parenting is all about. You gotta let them have a bit of freedom.”

EDIT: @ ShiftingClouds

“Yet I’d like to point out that Rhino is a very specialized, very limited program. What Blender can do that Rhino can’t I couldn’t imagine beginning to list.”

Exactly. But in reference to the other part, I’m talking more about the command autocomplete (i.e. type “sc…” and “scale” pops up instantly, etc. great for beginners who don’t know where the button is but know exactly what tool they want)

I don’t think I am communicating effectivley here.

Its been a while since I used rhino, but I remember their command line facility quite clearly from taking part in the 1.0 beta seven or so years ago. Rhino is a very rich and complex application with hundreds, if not thousands of commands. Accesing all of these options through the interface via drop downs and menus was a lot of times cumbersome and time consuming. Using the command line facility you had almost instant access to any of these commands with the added flexability of being able to input mathematical expressions as arguments to the commands.

It was this facility more than anything that I was commenting on, and something that the original poster brought up. Even though you can extend Blender’s capabilities through scripting, it dosn’t have an interactive command line for the scripting enviorment. Furthermore, Blenders Python API does not give you as simple or straightforward a way of interfacing with Blenders internals as Rhinos Command line does for it. That was my point more than anything.

Cheers
Xarf

Just a note.

A while ago eeshlo (I think) added this cool feature where you could evaluate python expressions in the text boxes found throughout Blender’s interface. Whatever happened to that?

Koba

Koba: It got released. Read release notes or you could just try #<type py expression here> at any number input.

Theeth do that : http://theeth.blogspot.com/2005/07/python-strike-back.html

Sorry guys…memory is fading (old age you know). You are right…it was released and it was theeth. :rolleyes:

Koba

It’s all right…
Do you play bridge ? I hear bridge is good for old folks.

:smiley:

J.

Rhino was orginally a plugin for AutoCAD. Its remarkable similarity with ACAD’s UI/workflow is no surprise. AutoCAD’s command line was a necessity rather than an afterthought. As you know, it started as a DOS program at a time when the only available input options were your keyboard’s arrow keys for pointing something on the screen and the rest for everything else.

Then came the Windows GUI onslaught, which was a difficult transition for Autodesk and users as well. Its first windows versions were nothing more than glorified betas. There was a point when ACAD developers didn’t know what to do with the command line feature, which certainly looked like a DOS remnant. It added to the fact that users not only have gotten so used to it, but actually found it powerful enough to demand that it stayed. The developers agreed.

The power in the command line is not so much about scripting (as it’s technically defined), but the ease in which you can customized your own command aliases, such as typing “l” for line, “c” for circle, “ar” for array, and so on, in conjunction with the SPACEBAR. You can easily see the limitless possibilities of key combinations. Spacebar in ACAD/Rhino is equivalent to the ENTER key. And you can imagine the ergonomic sense, ie, pointing device on the right hand and keyboard on the other without having to reach out for the enter key.

You can say that the command line’s added bonus is in its ability to develop scripts, because, as you guessed, it’s command-based. So yes, scripts are part of it with the aid of ACAD’s built-in AutoLISP as you can define your own commands, which are basically composed of a series of command that you wish to shorten by keying an alias in the command line.

Seems that Blender is going to have it in the next version, or after. Who knows?

http://mediawiki.blender.org/index.php/BlenderDev/CommandLine

It’s all right…
Do you play bridge ? I hear bridge is good for old folks.

I am 21 next month - but my memory is fading anyway. :expressionless:
Perhaps bridge is a good idea!

Anyway…back to the topic at hand.

Koba

rhino not only has nurbs but also very precise nurbs!!!

even among nurbs apps nurbs isnt nurbs.

while maya is based on alias studio it is not as good as studio.

What lockdown flamewars?

This might seem a stupid question, but what’s the performance of rhino like, and what does it depend upon?

The closest equivalent I ever used was my brother’s computer running AutoCAD with an entire city (Bournemouth), and it took several minutes if you wanted to see all the layers.

What do you mean? AutoCAD is a 2D app and Rhino is a 3d app, so there’s no competition there. While both are capable of generating 2d and 3d output, one excels in 2d and the other in 3d. I was trying to point out the benefit that may be derived from having a command line in the UI, which Rhino and AutoCAD have had since their creation. And it appears that Blender is going to have one.:frowning: Seems no one is interested.:smiley:

I was reading the command line (CL) features and i think it’s a major improvement in work speed (as soon as you get used to).

Just wish to make a repair to the CL. It will be good to get feedback in CL also, Ex: when a condition is not met, CL writes the reason why.

there are also 3d autoCAD versions.

the 2d is for interior designers for example to create floor planes.
autocad mechanical engineer for example is one of their 3d packages.

rhino is pretty fast, but mainly you create just one object in it
and not a city because it is used for industrial design or marine design.

exactly. I played around with AMAPI before I bought rhino and it crashed all the time, plus I was eligible for a student license so I thought it was worth it. I will post some stuff soon - the nurbs to mesh in rhino is pretty amazingly accurate