First Light // Shortmovie Trailer (Procedural Texture Paint)

First Light // Last Light
is a shortfilm I’m (trying!) to complete and released during spring 2019.
After a months spent working ont it, I’ve then decided to focus on one scene (the opening one) and render the first minute of the movie to have some feedback both about my workflow and the feelings I was getting from a “complete” scene! ; )

~ Here they are some screen of the 4 scenes in the trailer ~

Everything’s made in Blender (Cycles) without any other external sofware but Adobe Premiere for the final montage. 1800frames where rendered at 300 samples and it took roughly 2 days of constant work to get all of them done!
On a more tech side about the production of First Light…everything was procedurally painted with a custom shader I’ve been working on over the last months →

As some of you have maybe noticed (due to all other post o’mine), I’m a big fan of both procedural and non-realistic material workflow ; )
This big guy down there can paint some cool stuff cby only using a very simple vertex color, turning flat colors into a more articulated hand-painted/worned textures. It does this without any external help but a pre-baked AO map of the mesh. I’m kinda 90% happy with it, but probably there are some other features I’d like to bring into it, nonetheless, it’s kinda slow performance wise as it is and i’m trying to simplify some nodes right now.

That’s all folks!
Thanks for scrollin’ this post and taking a look at th trailer, every comment and/or question are welcome and i’ll be happy to reply! : )

Cheers!
Davide

6 Likes

Looks like this film will be quite beautiful! Can’t wait to see more!:grin:

This is gorgeous man. cant wait to see more… keep posting them here from time to time.
by the way any good resource to learn about procedural texture painting ? It came out really nice.

@ArtAvenue
@vasant

Thanks!
I’ll try too keep this post updated whenever some other frames will be rendered!

As for the procedural painting, I’m suggesting you to just google/youtube about cycles nodes and learn eeeeeeeeeverything you can about it! I’m sorry to say that there’s no “OFFICIAL” guide for something like this…is all up to your fantasy, but for the most I can suggest you to imagine this as some sorta of “photoshop layers”:

You have one base color (yellow) and mix a variation of it (dark yellow) using procedural textures (musgrave, noise, voronoi for the most) as FAC (you use those as mask ; ) )

Then some nodes as bevel and point density can help you out to “find edges” and addign some darker shading (worning) to them!

I hope this kinda makes sense to you ; )

1 Like

Yaa… That make sense… I will dive deep into nodes and may be one day I am able to pull it off.

Thanks man… Cheers :smile: