First model; a cartoon-esque skull

This will be stuck on a body and be given a helmet in the next day or so; it was modeled using a reference I doodled myself a while back, and I only had a front perspective to work with.
I haven’t applied any materials yet, and I realize it looks really rough, but as my first construction, I thought I might as well put it on display.

Wrapped-up the basics of the skull, throwing-on a helmet and a pair of goggles.

The hard part is next (making the body, as well as a big gun for the dude to tote around), followed by the harder part (touching-up the mesh. The skull’s wireframe is such a mess; I wish I’d modeled it differently).

Oh; and this is the reference doodle I’ve been using:

hmm hmm interesting so called ‘first model’…

looks pretty good in a cartoony way.

but try ambient occlusion for test renders as the surfaces are throwing me off as to it’s shape… lloks like the nose has a face created over it topside… strange

lloks like the nose has a face created over it topside… strange

Yes - there was a real mess above and to the right of the nose. This was a result of the whole mesh being, well, a real mess. The knife tool, as it turns out, isn’t for those of us new to working with polygons. :stuck_out_tongue:
That said, I managed to clean-up the distortions, and built myself a torso. Then I was playing around with the materials, and getting progressively frustrated with the fact I couldn’t figure-out how to make a good metal texture for my buttons and belt buckle… and then I made a discovery that got me all excited! Turns-out that blender has funtions that allow you to replicate those cel-shaded effects seen in games like Windwaker and the new Team Fortress coming out for the X-Box 360; and I LOVE that style of animation!

…Does anyone know if the Blender Game Engine supports this kind of rendering? Because, if it does, I’m just going to have to explode.

I think it is possible, I’m trying to find where I thought I saw it now. Best way might be just to try it and see what happens… Groovy model by the way, looks great in toon shading.

Ben.

http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=85739

Its one of probably many examples, but I think this has toon. It at the very least has edges. Good luck!

reminds me of “Grim Fandango”

Added some feet and hands:

Now I just need to model the rifle. :slight_smile:

I like the way this one turned-out:

Now I’ve just got to get my guy holding the sucker… which is proving to be something of a challenge. :confused:

Hey its a cool character…keep it up…