First (postable) Work: Jet Plane "F/A-40" [update]

Hullo ALL!

First Work:

http://blender.sixmonkeys.geek.nz/view_photo.php?full=1&set_albumName=public&id=FA_40

C&C are welcome!

~Delta

I can’t view the image.Use the tags www.yourimage.whatever.
And if you need to upload just use www.imageshack.us

I liked it, but what are the fins for in the middle of the rockets? They look like the belong in the engine.

Your link gives me “This Album Is Empty” :frowning:

sorry man, Since you didn’t follow the instructions with making a subfolder - I had to make one for you, which has broken your link… Here is where I moved it to…

http://blender.sixmonkeys.geek.nz/albums/delta32521/FA_40.sized.jpg

nice plane model, but looks very low poly. as for the fins, yeah I think I saw a diagram of something like that in a magazine once, the idea being that the fins would cause the rocket to rotate very very fast, and with a very high rotational velocity, it would be hard for atmospheric wind to blow them off course… or something like that. but the ones in the magazeine looked sleeker and more aerodynamic. don’t know if they were ever built.

sorry bob/virus… im not good with internet directions…

yes… its a very low poly model… partly due to the fact that i have a virtually non-existent graphics card (MAN do i need an upgrade)

im trying to get rid of the shadows on the nose of the plane

and i agree… im slimming down the missiles…

will update soon…(assuming i have the time)

~Delta

Allright… update…

im not too happy with the sky background…

http://img100.exs.cx/img100/4019/FA-40Second.jpg

As usual, C&C are welcome and greatly appreciated.

flames still need work. the texture is too regular, I can see the patterns on it. You could try increasing the scaling of the textures, or maybe use Global mapping… but I’m not sure. This is a problem I’ve often had, and have never been able to resoolve iit the way I’d like.

Try ctrl-n (recalculate normals) to get rid of those unwanted shadows on the nose.

ive recalced the normals [before i posted] on the whole plane mesh before, both inside and outside. didnt help…

[sheepishly] i actually havent even applied a MATERIAL to the plane yet… i dunno how you could see one… there isnt any…

yes… im working on the flames, trying for a more pointed one. (possibly blue for the engine…?)

oh well… ill see if i can update within the next month…

~Delta

Select all the verticies, remove doubles, then recalc normals :slight_smile:

I think its just lighting… i just removed doulbes… didnt remove anything…

i reset the limit to as high as 0.1, nothing

recalced about five times inward and outward, nothing…

thanks for the suggestions though…

~Delta

RE: nose shadows:

1. do you have Autosmooth turned on?
  2. can we see a wireframe? I’m guessing there’s only maybe 4 polys making up the entire nose.

Not too bad. You should probably round out the nose of the rockets and the plane. That’ll probably get rid of the shadows and stuff. Angles that are too sharp that are smoothed don’t end up looking good. Go with what Gr8RedShark said; adding more detail and turning Autosmooth on will most likely help. You definitely need to add more detail on everything though, but since this is a WIP, it’ll eventually be added…

DVirus, you are putting words in my mouth (or post, I suppose). :wink:
I did not actually tell him to turn on autosmooth. I suspect it’s already on, but was asking anyway to be sure. Turning autosmooth on maybe what’s causing the undesirable shadow effect.