First Project - Interactive Solar System

Greetings everyone, I’m doing an application based on the Solar System (not to scale) and I would like guidance on how to start. I already modeled the planets (but not textured) in Blender. The project is an interactive application so I would have to show the Solar System with all the planets rotating (at a rate of 1 min:year) and the option to choose a planet, which then the camera zooms in and statistics pop out from the left. That’s about it!
Can I completely do this in Blender?

I attached two photos just to give an idea of the dimensions I’m going for. I have a bit of a knowledge for 3ds max and I just downloaded Blender yesterday. I would appreciate as much help as possible since I’m doing this from scratch alone. I’ll try and make this in high resolution graphics and I’ll need to create an animated Sun. I also need to include an interface with a timer and all, but that’s not my concern right now.

Thank you :slight_smile:

Edit 1: I finished modelling the Earth based on Blender Guru’s tutorial that includes both day and night textures… Can someone please point me in the right direction so I can start with my project? Thanks!

Yes I think you can do it all in Blender. I’d like to see when its finished. If you do not know there is also Gymp and My paint good programs for the 2d work.

How can I make it interactive? I want to have the option when I click on a planet it can zoom in… Pretty much like the astounding work @ http://www.sunaeon.com/#/solarsystem/