First Rogue screenshot

Not really all that big of a deal, but since level editor has been not going so well, I made some tiles for rogue and took a screenshot of them. They work pretty well, and I was able to use level editor to make a nice dungeon maze with these tiles, but of course the bug screwed my level up :frowning:

Anyway, take a look:

http://mysite.iptic.com/spinhead/images/roguetiles.jpg

For more info go to the website.

Looks great though! (And a maze is probably harder than a ā€œnormalā€ level) :wink:

Hey saluk, I got an Idea :stuck_out_tongue:

While exploring your maze, have deadly traps that are triggered if you take the wrong path.

sounds stupidly simple, right? hold on, thereā€™s moreā€¦

Iā€™ve been toying with the idea of using a sort of ā€œspidey senseā€ in such games. Have you played the Guble game? You know how there are certain traps that you only know are traps after they have already killed you? like the 3 keys, two of which trigger an instant death trap, that is impossible to defend against with the games controls?

Well, what if, say, you pick up the wrong key, and you see a DANGER sign JUST BEFORE the trap triggers, giving you JUST enough time to back up/sidestep/jump/duck before you are killed.

better yet, after the DANGER warning is flashed, a matrix effect is triggered, and you slowly see the trap heading straight for your face. this would increase the ā€œcoolā€ factor a bit. Also, make sure that your characters movements are slowed down to the tempo of the matrix effect, meaning that even though you see the trap coming, you still have to react quicky to dodge it.
A really cool effect (only if you could manage it, of course) is to create a blurring effect when the effect is triggered.
also, put the slowing effect on a timer, so that time eventually speeds up again, whether you are killed, or not, or even still in danger from a trap that is taking longer than usual to subside (like a rolling boulder, indiana jones style). This would be the equivelent to the characters ā€œdanger senseā€ wearing of, as adreanaline slows, and whatnot.)

I kinda figured this would work, because professional thieves (rogues?) are experts at detecting/dodging traps.

well, let me know what you think.

You better believe it :wink:

hold on, thereā€™s moreā€¦

:slight_smile:

Iā€™ve been toying with the idea of using a sort of ā€œspidey senseā€ in such games. Have you played the Guble game? You know how there are certain traps that you only know are traps after they have already killed you? like the 3 keys, two of which trigger an instant death trap, that is impossible to defend against with the games controls?

Well, what if, say, you pick up the wrong key, and you see a DANGER sign JUST BEFORE the trap triggers, giving you JUST enough time to back up/sidestep/jump/duck before you are killed.

Thatā€™s a good idea, and easy to implement. 8)

better yet, after the DANGER warning is flashed, a matrix effect is triggered, and you slowly see the trap heading straight for your face. this would increase the ā€œcoolā€ factor a bit. Also, make sure that your characters movements are slowed down to the tempo of the matrix effect, meaning that even though you see the trap coming, you still have to react quicky to dodge it.

That would be pretty hard, and I think would probably be a pain to do unless it were on a small scale.
but it would increase the ā€œcoolā€ factor :wink:

A really cool effect (only if you could manage it, of course) is to create a blurring effect when the effect is triggered.

well, maybe not blurring, but add a overlay plane with like an ipo of ā€˜colR, colG, colBā€™ to make a black see through planeā€¦thatā€™s confusing.

also, put the slowing effect on a timer, so that time eventually speeds up again, whether you are killed, or not, or even still in danger from a trap that is taking longer than usual to subside (like a rolling boulder, indiana jones style). This would be the equivelent to the characters ā€œdanger senseā€ wearing of, as adreanaline slows, and whatnot.)

Youā€™ve had a lot of time to think about this, havenā€™t you :wink:

I kinda figured this would work, because professional thieves (rogues?) are experts at detecting/dodging traps.

unless you were an expert at placing/hiding traps :wink:

well, let me know what you think.

Thatā€™s what I think, and I think there are some cool ideas, but my opinion counts for beans. :-?
~Joe

Hehe, good ideas SeaCigar and Joecool. I think I might have some sort of trap sensing skill to include in the character, because it fits with the theme and the classic games. But it wouldnā€™t be for free, unless your trap sense skill was at an extremely high level. Most traps are going to be invisible unless you detect them, and youā€™ll have to press a key (maybe s for search, or maybe the shift key puts you in sneak mode where you walk slower but also detect traps better) to make the character look around for traps. Or you could just wait for your pet to walk into a trap and then you know thereā€™s a trap there:) I think the matrix thing is a bit too complicated, but maybe I can make the trap fade in from no where when you find it or something.

Thanks for the comments.

they werenā€™t my ideas :wink: but youā€™re right, the matrix effect as described by seacigar would be a tad bit difficultā€¦
I hope someone works on the game engine once the sources are openedā€¦sighā€¦

:smiley: wellā€¦ donā€™t take what I said to spite; I was mainly thinking about gameplay when I posted that, and improvision is a part of it all. Iā€™m glad you like my idea, btw :slight_smile:

The matrix scenario is overdone anyway, but folks seem to like it.

anyway, the game sounds like it might be fun!

careful not to make it a kingā€™s field, tho (jk)