first try at photorealistic UPDATE PAGE 2

hmmm?
I think your right. But how would I change that?

Clicking the “Disp” button again should turn the text yellow, and that should do it.

Wow, now don’t quit. Your on the right track.
Check the shadow under the ball too. Maybe it should stay sharp, maybe not… it’s your call

I tried doing that but it looks the exact same.
and if I can’t get it like that I think it looks good anyway
so it kinda looks like it was overstuffed with cement which looks cool to me.

I cant see how it would look the same if pressed the disp button to yellow?! It should work, i can’t think of any unknown reason why it wouldn’t. Have you displaced using a grayscale version of the brick texture map?

yep It’s a grayscale

hmm…their must be to much white to black interfirance in the pixels of the image map, meaning the disp does not seem as defined.

Oh, you might need to do the same to Nor if you haven’t already. I’m not sure, though, I’m just throwing ideas out there.

Hi Kid A,

What are you using for lighting? Radiosity, hemisphere, area-lights?

I’m also a beginner…

Im using Area Lights for lighting
oh and jeeves I already Tried doing the nor and disp on yellow
but then on the vertical brick lines they are not bulging but the horizontal ones are bulging out alot more

Kid A,

Post the greyscale image - maybe we can figure out what’s going wrong…

N.

Its A big image but here is the grayscale
http://www.maj.com/gallery/homestarteddy/Blender/gray.jpg

Just converting a photo of some bricks to grayscale will not yeild an accurate displacement map. Displacement uses grey values to determine height and what you have here is simply the resultant shading when a light is cast on a brick surface. Its not a height map its just exactly what you said, a greyscale image of the bricks. Yes you can get pretty good results this way but you’d have just as much success using the color image as your displacement map imo because blender uses the VALUE at each pixel, not the color information. Simply turning an image to greyscale does not strip out specularity information as has been mentioned. Not at all. In fact I would go as far as saying that a normal greyscale image is primarily spec data. I may be wrong here but you might have more luck manually creating a height map in photoshop or gimp using 50% grey as the “floor”, black as the “basement” and white as the “ceiling” so to speak. Then apply your greyscale image as a nor texture to provide bump mapping to the displaced geometry at render time. Give it a try.

One not about creating the height map for displacement: Think of the bricks as 50% grey, the bumps on the bricks as white, and the troughs between the bricks as black. Experiment! Be artistic! The best results aren’t fast all the time but I bet they’ll be more effective :smiley:

P.S. If someone feels they have more accurate advice, please disagree with me.

Hey desoto you are right about it only working as spec map, the one i did i edited the grey scale in GIMP like you metioned with the grey blocks as bricks and kept different a layer of some infomation such as pock marks and scratches and flattend the image, make sure you use guassain smoothing ‘Kid A’ otherwise the bricks will be very sharp at the edges and pretude with unwanted results

Agreed and understood. I asked KidA to post the greyscale because it is so much more obvious why it WON’T work as is when you see the greyscale image and imagine the white bits as ‘high’ and the darks as ‘low’.

Go for it KidA!

N.