FIXED ISS made by NASA

Hi.

UPDATE
I uploaded model to GITHUB
DOWNLOAD

ORYGINAL POST

Im currently working on fixing model of International Space Station. https://nasa3d.arc.nasa.gov/detail/iss-hi-res I got it converted from lightwave to .obj then to blend file.

I dont know how many tings were broken by exporting or just not finished by NASA

I want to post final version of my struggles here so anyone can pick up where i left. Doesnt seem this model is under any licecne restrictions, also i do not take claim to it.
I just want to provide usable version of ISS for educational use.

Im fixing:

-Missing faces
-Z Fights
-Unnecesary geometry
-Missing textures
-Dubled geometry
-Lack of soft shading
-Missing UV
-Displaced objects
-Floating objects
-Origns of objects should be fixed in one place for easy assembly

Screenshots of some problem this model have.

3 Likes

these NASA 3D models are done under the old Blender renderer

how come you did not get the blend file from NASA site ?

are you going to update it to Cycles or EEVEE too?

I did not download that ISS model so not certain how it was !
I think NASA license is all free - read their site license

good luck

is it going to be updated on NASA site too ?
what file size is it verts count ?

happy cl

This model was made using lighwave. As they state on their GITHUB “translating these files into other software is the sole function of the end user. Textures may require remapping and/or resizing.”

NASA kinda given up on their 3D model base few years ago so not all models have .blend file included.

I need this model to render in old DirectX engine (like 7 or so) so Im doing it in Internal.

Hard to find details on their 3D models but their photos are public domain so 3D models probably also.

Thanks.

No. Im not hired by NASA im just doing public service or so. Model will be posted here in First post. I hope people that will search for free ISS in google will eventually find it.

Raw model From NASA.old%20iss

Fixing done in 50% new

Cheers!

1 Like

strange the site seems to have change
last year there was still several version available
like 3DS blend ect,

I saw a version for ISIS but it was at 300 MB
a bit too large to download !
don’t know what I would do with that LOL

happy cl

You can print the ISS :slight_smile: That is my hope one of these days…

I finished what I could on this a while ago, but for some reason have lost the file after I saved it in two locations. I do have a render left though…

However to fix this model wasn’t too much of a pain. As I remember there was a lot of limited dissolve use and flipping normals, some places I left the way they were, but I didn’t do much remodeling. Smoothing and the use of autosmooth worked well.

I just can’t believe I lost this file. I had Cycles, RenderMan and LuxCore versions… all gone.

Bummer. I believe there was a high detail model on Blend Swap, with the textured one being for sale but the un-textured one was free. Yeah,found it.

1 Like

@ajm nice one! Shame you lost it. Seem like we have different pain treshold :stuck_out_tongue: Or somehow my was more broken in import (i did not do exporting from lightwave so who knows) Or simply i just suck :smiley:

@djwaterman pretty nice find :slight_smile: i can use it as reference but i see few places already where this guy could use NASA model as reference (! 1,500k verts!).

But again there is no perfect 3d model of real object so i have to let my perfectionism go and draw line somewhere :wink:

1 Like

I didn’t do anything that special. Ran a few tools quickly, and may have cleaned up a bit, I wasn’t planning on rigging anything or using a hi-res representation of the model, so most of the detail is provided by the textures they included. The longest part of the process was the UV mapping, since the model isn’t all that great. The other thing is, I don’t know why it ended up triangulated in the first place, there was no need.

Now a nightmare of a mesh was the Hubble telescope. There are many pieces missing from that one, fortunately they are internal parts and not seen, but there was a lot of rework to do there. I did the rework in LightWave that time, but did do a Blender translation.

Triangulation part is about the exported formats being used. older formats like .3ds .obj .lwo .stl .and many others didn’t support quads in older iteration, many still don’t. there isnt’ much NASA can do about it (unless they use Blender to make a mesh and release in blender - or other newer format from what whatever solution they use …)

At least it was that…

I find detriangulation or decimation doesn’t always work that great. For those CAD exported kludge meshes, I find they’re workable as a snapping and/or shrinkwrap template, which makes building a more efficient (and subdiv-ready) quad-based mesh (albeit manually) possible. The time that goes in may make losing a model done that way a somewhat bigger ordeal.

I fixed as much as I could, Sorry for slow upload.
If You think I should add/clarify anything please let me know.

Thanks a lot,
you saved my day.
Great job…

sorry but why the link’s .rar file is crashed.

Download link works for me. Link i posted here redirects you to github where you can download rar file. After that you extract rar file and you’ll have blend file with textures

1 Like

Yes it’s downloaded but I can’t extract it when extracting it says error. Please help

Thanks for the support…

Make sure to use Winrar or 7zip for extracting. You also my try redownloading package.

1 Like