Fixing renamed bone references

I renamed a lot of bones, but after already having made animations. This caused a lot of channels to be error’d out.

I know how to rename the channels, but that doesn’t actually change the references within. How would I update them to match with the new bone names? Is there a ‘safe’ way to rename bones so that channels and references will update?

hummm that’s an interesting question… that would be a good thing to know… I have never run into this…

Short Answer is: I don’t know…

I do know that renaming bones affects more than just actions. I was changing bone names on a rig that was created by someone who speaks spanish (I think). Didn’t want to change all the bone names, just the names of the controllers so when I animate, I’ll know which channels are which in the dopesheet. This renaming caused alot of drivers to break as well. Yet, when you rename a bone, the change in names is made to vertex groups and constraints. Appears name changes aren’t reflected at all in dopesheet/f-curve editors and I think it’s a bug that should be reported… If I had time…

Randy