Flakes of Winter

Bigbad, Jeepster, you can lock yourselves up in the delusion that I’m a failed artist and can’t be successful all you want, but apparently, it’s good enough someone reffered to contacting a guy in Washington D.C to put my name out and the gallery master who’s an expert in the arts and does art himself allowing me to show my work.

To say “oh, ya right, what do they know” and “low prices = bad art” would be an insult to the gallery master, all the people who have given positive feedback to me in the real world, and a lot of the people who turned in work to hang at the gallery for the art show"

Applause! Applause!

that’s a terrible justification for making one annoyingly symmetrical abstract and then duplicating it around your scene eight times before you toss it into the renderer…

Bigbad, Jeepster, you can lock yourselves up in the delusion that I’m a failed artist and can’t be successful all you want, but apparently, it’s good enough someone reffered to contacting a guy in Washington D.C to put my name out and the gallery master who’s an expert in the arts and does art himself allowing me to show my work.

Look, I’ll say it nicely: you’re in no position to be pious.

You can stay locked in your elitist know-it-all delusions. I already bowled you critics over with my successes before, I will sell more, and you’ll be banging yourself on the head.

I have not seen any of Jeepster’s work or any of your work in any gallery, it has to be decent to go into a gallery, if they were not, would he have allowed me to showcase my work, would people buy it, or are you going to say the people who give positive feedback are idiots and the gallery’s for hillbillies?

You can’t stop my success in selling art, me selling just shows the know-it-all about art attitude that sometimes plagues this forum.

that’s a terrible justification for making one annoyingly symmetrical abstract and then duplicating it around your scene eight times before you toss it into the renderer…

This is part of the problem, this forum is not run by the elite who tell people if their work meets some stringent requirements for it to be art that they set. If you think that art needs to follow tons of requirements then you don’t know much about art then.

gah, I smell another flamewar.

(pulls out marshmellows and roasting stick)

OK, seriously. I was applauding this for a reason:
“cyborg dragon is gloating snidely about his entire 135 dollars to spite them. they are rating his work low and making bad jokes at his expense to spite him. it’s a vicious circle that has lasted since the dawn of time. don’t get involved if you value your sanity.”

Cyborg, read that please.

Yes I read that, but I don’t think people here have the right to go into everyone’s threads and tell them if they followed the requirements needed to make their work art.

Months ago Fuzzmaster called one of Piet Mondrian’s most famous works a 5 minute piece of crud. I see it as art, Fuzzmaster didn’t because it didn’t follow the rules he thought were written down everywhere, but were not.

Hey,

I’m going to throw in my opinion and like all opinions you may completely ignore it.

First off commenting on this piece.

While it is understandable to attempt to place "perfection (per-say) in your “piece”, I think that I would look better (read: more polished) if the flakes were different, you could still have the flake in “focus” be “perfect” or the styling of them, but at least add a subtle difference.

Secondly, I would change the background,
Right now, to me it looks like it was just a temporary thing, ( like a background with a ‘clouds’ texture),
What I would do, Is replace it with something that looks like you worked on it a little harder (from a 3D-user’s perspective [see lower opinions]), Perhaps some of those awesome clouds we saw from you previously…

Note: Slightly un-related, but it would’ve been nice to have at least a thumbnail in the thread…

Now, let me say, Congrats on managing to sell your art work for any price anywhere, making money while doing something you enjoy(I can only assume you enjoy blender, either that or there is something wrong with you… :stuck_out_tongue: )

I would also say, a

gallery master who’s an expert in the arts
is probably very knowing in what will sell / the market / etc.

But he may not have much experience in 3D, where as on a 3D software forum, we all( well 99% ) of us, do know 3D.

So while it may be a “good” or “great” (remember that those are both relative/opinions) piece of art, it may have not been the most impressive display of “3D technique” ( to make up a phrase ;)) - (aka A golden suzanne on a wooden floor might look good to someone that doesn’t know much about 3d, but to alot of blender users, it would look like not a whole lot of effort went into it, (Or atleast I think so.)

Now this is probably just me, but the only reason I would post anything on an online community, is to better myself or my work, You can say my art/work “Sucks” so long as you say why, but I wouldn’t post just to hear good things about what I’ve done (Not saying that this is what you’ve done).

And you have (again in my opinion) managed to make some people… “Dislike” you, therefor their posts in your threads, may be more destructive, and I would just ignore such comments, or report it (an another alternate, might be to contact such person via pm.).

So on the stars “issue” Quite frankly, I wouldn’t give this any stars, but there is 3 reasons why…

I would actually give this image 1-3 stars, but (again IMO) the star system on this forum seems to me like.

• 3-5 stars is a good image.
  • 1-2 stars is for Cyborg-Dragon, and rare cases…I’ve never seen a 1-2 star given to anyone other than you (that I can remember), I think that that is wrong.

Therefor I wouldn’t want to give you 1-2 stars, as it would seem like I was insulting you.

But then again I rarely give-out stars anyways… :stuck_out_tongue:

Just to re-state, this is just my opinion, I’d rather you ignore it, than you take it the wrong way.

Edit: Some responses seem to have been written as I wrote this, so I am adding onto this.

You can stay locked in your elitist know-it-all delusions. I already bowled you critics over with my successes before, I will sell more, and you’ll be banging yourself on the head.
I would say that this is a little bit of an issue, as it would seem to me, that not a whole lot of people would be upset that you are selling artwork…
From their point of view (which may or may not be mine) it may seem amazing, but I don’t think most people will/would care (quite frankly).

Personally, let me say again, good for you!

I have not seen any of Jeepster’s work or any of your work in any gallery
If you are referring to a physical gallery, I’m not sure how you could possibly make that statement, ( Well I could see how you could make it, just not how it would make sense…)

If you are referring to a digital gallery, From what I recall, Jeepster has been in the blender.org gallery, as well as the blenderart gallery.

any of your work in any gallery
Who are you referring to?

This is part of the problem, this forum is not run by the elite who tell people if their work meets some stringent requirements for it to be art that they set. If you think that art needs to follow tons of requirements then you don’t know much about art then.
Let me say, that I agree that there are people on this forum that come across as elitist (to me), but please read what I said above about art vs. 3D, I think that their might be some confusion in this area.

Months ago Fuzzmaster called one of Piet Mondrian’s most famous works a 5 minute piece of crud. I see it as art, Fuzzmaster didn’t because it didn’t follow the rules he thought were written down everywhere, but were not.
Real quickly Let me just say that (in my opinion) the only rule of art would be that someone calls it art. (someone anyone) it could be squiggles made from toxic waste,

Without seeing an exact quote of what Fuzzmaster said, I would say that its as simple as it didn’t appeal to him, and it did to you.

EndEdit.

Edit2: For some reason I didn’t see yogyog’s post the first time around, I think you just about summed it up, quite nicely (Thumbs up.)

Cheers,
Marslyr

I have not seen any of Jeepster’s work or any of your work in any gallery

cough
http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=107448
http://www.blender.org/features-gallery/gallery/archive/october-2007/
cough

Bigbad, Jeepster, you can lock yourselves up in the delusion that I’m a failed artist

your looking into this too far i just thought his comment was funny -_-

congratulation cybort dragon on your success

i think your images are getting better and better and you have come along way

Jeepster, not the forum gallery, a gallery that’s its own building and showcases art, an offline gallery where you drive to, walk in through the door and look at the pretty pictures;)

The gallery master has seen pics.made in photoshop, so he knows of some digital art.

Please note that I updated/edited my post,

And on the issue of physical gallerys,

Jeepster could quite well have a piece in one, so why would you assume otherwise, because you hadn’t seen one? (the world is an Awful big place)

Cheers,
Marslyr

I agree that alot more effort could have gone into this,like adding a few indentations on the flakes, some nice filtered raytrans, since you are using svn build maybe some blurry reflections and refractions, and the background needs to be a bit more dynamic, like say a black background with some nice softglow on the flakes (use glare node), great idea and nice modeleing though

Did you just give a constructive criticism?? Don’t you know. He a great artist now. His art is selling like a fire through out the world. Everyones home is going to have his renderer’s hanging on the wall. World domination of the great Cyber Dragon.

That of course till he gets a real job and start to pay for food and shelter. You know he’s 19 years old now. I’ll bet daddy would be more than happy to feed him till CD turn 30ish.

Looks like a radial spreaded skyline with in the same manner surounding antennas with skulls in them. Something anyway.

Kinda cool. Simple but, if it sells, hey, power to you. :slight_smile:

So, ignoring the grand debate here, first a comment on the work:

Overall, I like it - the colors are unified and there is a clear focal point. The shape of the flake is also interesting - very complex but still maintaining an overall form. I agree with the others, though, the background flakes could do with some variation. Had they been even farther back and more blurred, then it probably would have worked with the same shape, but when you can still clearly see the forms, it’s obvious that they are all repeated. That’s a pitfall of digital art - it’s easy to get too much repetition and it starts to look unnatural.

I’d also like to see it without the sharpening you did - I can see artifacts around the edges of flakes, they almost look like compression artifacts, except it’s a PNG image.

On the other topic of this thread, I have a few quick comments to say my piece and then I’m out:

Art is inherently subjective - what is ‘good’ or ‘bad’ art is entirely personal opinion. I don’t think anyone would deny that what you have done can be considered art - opinions differ on whether it is ‘good’ or ‘bad’ art. The gallery master judges by his own set of standards - a set of standards completely different from every other person in the world. Likewise, he allows each visitor to the gallery to have their own opinions - I’m sure many people have walked through the gallery and left thinking that it was nothing special, that nothing there was worth a purchase. On the other hand, just as many people have come through and left with art. It is a matter of opinion, of personal taste.

On an ending note, check out this article.

I think it’s just weird, but apparently some people think it’s art.

Just some things to think about.

Ok I actually didn’t want to comment on this CD since I hate your attitude but I simply can’t stand it anymore.
First off again: IF YOU DO NOT WANT PEOPLE TO STATE THEIR OPINION EVEN IF IT IS BAD CRITICS DON’T POST HERE!!!

About your piece: I don’T like it that much. The snowflake looks artifical and screams CG. The pattern is too repetitive and the flake itself doesn’t look like crystaline at all. Take the critic to improve it or ignore it like you do most of the time.

Second: I congratulate you on your sales but saying that other people don’t know art just because they don’t like yours or haven’t sold anything is having the same attitude as people bashing you art just for the fun of getting your responses. We have a saying in German “Kunst liegt im Auge des Betrachters” broadly meaning art is in the eye of the one who watches it!

Don’t get discouraged by people saying they don’t like your pics CD cause you are the only critic you really have to satisfy. If you can sell your art great for you but just because some gallerist says you have great art doesn’t mean anything. I think there is nothing as controverse as a discussion about art. Hey someone ( I can’t find a reference at the moment but I think it was Boise) put a pissoir in a gallery and some people think it is great art and others think it is a provocation and I believe that contractiction is exactly what makes it art.

Last but not least: Do not critic people for giving criticism this is extremly rude and I find it insulting on a personal level.

So happy blending and keep up the work since I have seen a lot of stuff from you I like.