Flaming Nostrils!

(Jolly Gnome) #1

Well, not exactly… :smiley:
This is my first attempt at modelling a human head:
http://www23.brinkster.com/ondoval/sierain.html
(Started with cube, then continued with subdividing and smoothing the shape out)

How the hell do I get the lights out of his nose???
There’s only one light (sun… I believe in this picture) behind his head, like this:
…*
…/|
<…0.|

(I hope you’ll get the idea of the picture… * = light, O = head, < = camera, . = fillers to get the picture right)

(BgDM) #2

I don’t get an image. Just a blank white screen. :frowning:

As far as the lights in the nose, (I think I know what you are trying to show in you schematic), don’t use the “SUN” light setting. Use a “LAMP” or “HEMI” for you lighting. I beleive the “SUN” powers through everything and that is why you get the effect you are describing.

BgDM

(Jolly Gnome) #3

No, the problem persist on every light type :confused:

(BgDM) #4

OK. Finally saw the image. Now, snce the light is above the head, did you close up the top of the head so the light would not shine through it and then cause the light to go through the nostrils?

That is my only suggestion without seeing the mesh or blend file.

BgDM

(Jolly Gnome) #5

Yep, the head is sealed from all sides, no holes anywhere (including the nostrils)…
I could upload the .blend if you want to check it out?

(Eric) #6

every light in blender goes throught everything…spot’s are the one’s that shouldn’t but they’re doing it sometimes anyway. my solution is to add a light-system with several (multicolored) lamps, then add NEGATIVE lamps on those places were it shouldn’t shine.

(rogerm3d) #7

nice reminds me of the stone faces on easter island or werever they are.
put a stone texture on it and place on some hills

(Jolly Gnome) #8

Hmm… now that I started to try out things, I noticed that spotlight with low shadow bias value didn’t induce the “flaming nostrils”… and the “clip start” value affects too: the closer to the target the shadow clipping starts, the less the nostrils are lit (quite same effect as with bias)

(Jolly Gnome) #9

Okay, now I got the lights better… check out the image now (in the same address)

(rogerm3d) #10

looks more like a human head there. But I like it as a stone face that looked cool (i think)

(basse) #11

scary. looks like a dead person.

or, some graphics for blackmetalbandhomepages.

.b

(Jolly Gnome) #12

Thanks basse 8)