Flaming Title Animation

Lately I’ve been working on a website for a client of mine and she asked me if I could make a title animation of some sort to make it look like it was on fire. -???!!! I told her I wasn’t sure if I would be able to do that, but that I would see what I could do (I never even mentioned to her that I was planning on using Blender to make it).

http://inlinethumb63.webshots.com/42750/2133916830103332577S600x600Q85.jpg

Using the tutorial “Burn Them All” by François Grassard (aka CoyHot) from the May 2008 issue of Blender Art Mag, I’ve been able to make a flaming title that looks fairly convincing. I still have some work to do on it (such as the outline shape of the flames), but it is still pretty cool as it is.

I rendered it at 2560px wide so that the flames would be at the proper scale compared to the rest of the image. see it in full-res on my blog

It might look cool to have the text a slightly darker color as it goes to the top as if its actually burning it. Right now the fire looks really convincing but the material that the letters are made out of looks like its metal or something.

might look better if the flames came from the words instead of the individual letters, right now it looks far too repeated.

yeah, i agree. if you were to start a fire on something like that IRL then the flames on each letter would merge to make an inferno over each individual word.
Try it yourself, the flames you have look awesome, see what it looks like more “engulfed” instead of repeated like that.

p.s, is there a URL for the tutorial you followed, id love to give it a try!:cool:

Find that tutorial in this pdf (see the table of contents) from blenderart.org.

The first words could be smoldering as the last words continue to burn. Sort of a progression, you know?

Thank you guys for your input, I really appreciate it. Unfortunately I’m going to have to put this project off for now so I can focus on the code of the site it’s designed for. I may not even use it at all, but we’ll see. to see the site I was making it for, visit my blog here.

till later,

-Tim

I would sugest making the letters blue as they should be hotter than the yellow outside part of the flame plus it would distinguish them more.