Flashlight

Hello :slight_smile:

It’s been a while since I posted any works in here so here’s a little something, a pocket size flashlight. I measured my own flashlight with a vernier caliper and tried to reproduce it as accurately as i could without going overboard with the polys.
All the parts together are about 28k polygons.

The whole thing took about a day to make, no subsurf, all details are modelled without textures. Images are rendered in Yafray with a HDRI background… i guess that’s about all the info I could think of :slight_smile:

And here’s the pics:
Picture 1
Picture 2

Nice detail and good accuracy on the design, though isn’t it possible to get pretty much the same thing under 28 thousand polys?

:o Nice flashlight!

–EDIT-- Don’t pay attention to the below text. (I hate IE auto resizing)

Suggestion: Select each object and turn on subserf and hit the “set smooth” button in the edit menue. Then, go to the render button and click the OSA button! Your computer and I will thank you! hehe. Once again, nice piece.

…side note: on this model you wont have to turn subserf on because you already have a crapton of them :wink: but for lower poly objects it works wonders without creating a laggy mess of vertexes on your screen.

You’re probably right, but as i said that all the detail is modelled and i didn’t want to “break” the mesh by optimizing it manually or with the decimator %|
The biggest poly eater is probably in the details on the side (don’t know the exact word) since they required a 144 step spin to get the look i wanted :slight_smile:

I would suggest OSA…

Right… but my computer isn’t exactly fast so I prefer using lower level of OSA since it makes rendering a bit faster.

Very nice, with the rubber seals is it a dive flashlight, or as we say over here a dive torch.

Nice basic Mini Mag (Maglight).

BTW, all Maglights have that rubber seal.

I miss my Mini Mag. :frowning:

Here’s the preview renders made for the TurboSquid page, with better AA… took a good while to render… :slight_smile:
yup, I’m selling it… dunno if anyone will buy it but i gotta try atleast :slight_smile:

http://www.saunalahti.fi/~habalux/3d/light/

Looks good, but there’s really no need for that many polys (and I suspect no one would ever buy it for that reason). The same thing could be faked with bump maps, or you could use a displacement map.

Probably true… but it doesn’t hurt to try does it? I do know that bumpmaps would have been atleast quicker and more poly effective, and I am/will be using bumpmaps on my lower poly models but still, I wanted to make this one without any bumpmapping.

After all, all I have to loose is time, and I’ve got plenty of it :wink:

Oh I should have known cause I own a minimag

Help me out here. =P
I’m trying to model a flashlight right now and I’m trying to model the ridges.
I see that you’ve done a wonderful job with them on your flashlight.

I’m using the ‘Spin Dup’ command to try to rotate one single ridge around the flashlight. The problem is that I’m having problem positioning the first ridge such that the entire strip looks well connected.

It’s pretty simple, just use the spin tool (not spin dup) with the profile to make a complete circle, delete all but the first few rounds (word?), modify some polys to desired shape and then use the spin dup.
Just remember not to modify any polys on the outside edges since they have to be connected after the spin dup.
The catch is to set the number or steps for the spin operation at each point.

Im not sure if i explained it very clearly, and I think you could get a better answer for this and many other things in the General help forum :wink:

even though u said u wanted a fast render i think u should add osa and a slight ao it seem too shiny. Render in parts i.e. the x parts y parts slider. for that type of scene u need to render it in parts.

i like them, osa needs to be higher though