Flesh and Bones

Hello Everyone:

Was just looking at a human model here:

http://www.indigorenderer.com/joomla/component/option,com_gallery2/Itemid,26/?g2_itemId=197

I noticed he doesn’t look 100% natural because he doesn’t really have too much of a ribcage. In a person that size - you could probably see their ribs…

This brings up and interesting modeling question I have had for some time.
(Remember I am still pretty new to all this, so bear with me on some of my weak points.)

Suppose you made a skeleton, and then made the muscles to go over it - how would you (for lack of a better term) “work” them together? As in a rib cage, you would want the muscles to define where the bones are underneath them, right? But, when modeling with meshes - it’s like they pass right through one another.

Another example might be like if you tried to put a watch (as an independent object) onto a modeled wrist - how would you make the watch not pass through the skin of the wrist, but actually cinch it enough to make it look like it was snug around the wrist?

Similar questions arise with clothes or muscles themselves. Fabric and cloth seems to be handled a bit differently, but suppose you had an arm flexion, and then you didnt want the forearm muscles to pass through the biceps when fully flexed.

See what I mean?

:spin:

im relatively new to this too, but a simple answer to your question is: people don’t do all that stuff because it’s hard to do it. It’s hard enough to build a reasonable fascimile of a person without adding all of the complexity you are detailing like having the skin cinch in because of a watch, etc. I mean people do it, or at least try to, but it is super hard, and if you are animating the model, it gets even more complex. there are loads of people who spend countless hours trying to make their models look as real as possible but please remember - its all fake! Its just polygons! and there are tricks and new software but 3D is a long way from making absolutely real human beings.

Now on a practical note i have notice that Blender just released a modifier called shrink wrap that seems to be good for making clothes lay more realistically on a body. but like anything else, to make it look good is probably a lot of work - just like 3D in general. Fun, but a lot of work.

Well, I kind of think there’s a way to do it… May not be so easy, but I think it’s possible…

I’ve seen some tuts on making chains, for instance… I don’t have them accessible at the moment, but the idea is that the links wont pass through one another, and the chain can therefore act like a real chain… The same would be true of what I am describing…

It might actually be a physics issue, like with the use of soft bodies or collisions… but I’m not sure how these would be applied yet to create the effect…

Anyway, it’s just a question…

Ty.

The Head

I think if anyone knew they would be doing it. One of the main problems with animation tools is how they relate to living characters. There are no muscle driven armatures. Meshes are empty and always in need of more deformation info. Software and hardware are making leaps though. Maybe someone will correct this soon.