Flexi Bezier Tool

Fantastic!!

2 Likes

Hi Khemadeva i hope everything is going well for you and i just try to install on 2.82 but it doesn’t work!

Do you have any estimate time to upgrade it to 2.82?

There is many essential tools in my workflow(sculpt mainly) in 2.82 so i am trying to work as much as i can with it.

Hi Polynut! I am doing quite well, thank you :slight_smile: Hope things are good with you as well.

What problem are you facing with the toolkit on 2.82 exactly?
I have been using the add-on in 2.82 off and on and haven’t seen any problem so far. I did a quick check again with a fresh build from today’s source. And there doesn’t seem to be any problem.

I hope you are using the latest add-on version (0.9.70).

Do let me know the specific problem details and I will get back to you.

2 Likes

I will try it again and i have download the github zip, it was working in 2.81 so the tools i want were in 2.81 so 2.82 is not essential for the moment.

Thank for the quick reply my friend.

Hi Khemadeva,

Do you think these features would be possible since it would make your tool the best bezier addon of all ;

If you are familiar with 3ds max

1-chamfer

2-fillet

3-outline

2 Likes

After i install the latest version i cannot draw a straight line anymore while holding the shift key?

Edit: never mind i found how to make it work like before; you just need to select reference line point to make it constraint to straight line while holding shift.

1 Like

Glad that you figured it out. Perhaps Reference Line Point should be the default selection in the Snap Origin drop down, as it would be the most frequently required behaviour.

There are some really cool and powerful snapping options in the newer version of the toolkit. If you have not seen the video on Snapping & Locking Framework , I would suggest that you take out some time to go through it, at least once.

Yes, I am planning to include these features. Do you have any short and simple videos that demonstrate the functionality?

As I mentioned in one of my earlier posts, the plan is to first refactor the Flexi Edit to make selection of points and segments consistent (this is mostly finished now) and then, maybe, implement tools to draw primitive shapes (like circle / ellipse and polygon, to start with) . So maybe I will work on the things you mentioned after these items are taken care of.

But first of all, of course, Configurable Hotkeys… it’s missed by many users :slight_smile:

And just btw, the tool need not be “the best of all”, I would be happy even if it’s just a robust and useful tool, helping the creative people out there. The frustration one experiences when something doesn’t work in an intuitive way, is well known to me. Fortunately, with Blender Python APIs, the user is now not so helpless anymore :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Yes i think that putting reference line point as default would be more intuitive.

Thank i will have a look at link you provide for snapping video.

Here a video featuring 3ds max fillet&chamfer;

Here the outline tool ;

Your addon is already a blender must have for any serious artist out there and you are a real gentlemen and the community is very happy for what you have done so far.

4 Likes

Affinity Designer has a good corner/fillet/chamfer interactive tool…

*for archviz/precise modeling some way to type corner radius values is essential.

5 Likes

Hi Khemadeva,

I am not sure if your addon has this functionality but i am doing a lot of bezier work and often i would like to trace only one side of a curve and then mirror it to save work but in blender it’s hell on earth to merge 2 curves point since f make extra long bezier handle and you then have to adjust each one of them to match the shape and it is taking insane amount of time for something that should be simple!

So is there a simple weld like command to weld 2 curve point together?

1 Like

Hi Polynut! I am not sure if I understand the requirement right. But have you tried the Join Paths tool in the toolkit?

4 Likes

Thank you very much since i never thought for a second to look at the tool panel and there it was!

1 Like

Just want to say a big THANK YOU!!!
Your add-on is an awesome improvement in a workflow.
The way I can skip all tedious steps … like add curve object, delete points, start to add control points and finally after that correct shape by selecting handles … just simply draw almost final shape … uf. Thank you :slight_smile:

I dont know if its because I have Adobe background or I don`t know to use blender curve properly, but finally I can feel like a human :slight_smile: (human - in any meaning that came up to your mind :slight_smile: )

Just looks like add-on is not ready for 2.82 right? I cant see it on an addon list after installation. 2.80 works great.

2 Likes

You are most welcome and thank you from me as well for the cool feedback!
My motiovation comes mostly from comments like this :slight_smile:

I have been using the add-on also with 2.82 without any problems so far.
Could you check the console to see if there are any errors after installing the add-on.
Also, I assume you are installing the script py file from this location.
You might also want to check if, after installing it, the script file (blenderbezierutils.py) is getting correctly copied in the add-ons folder: /blender/2.82/scripts/addons

Hmm … I don’t know what to say. It’s on the list now in 2.82 as well.

Morning I did installation from that directory, there was no error in installation, I saw script in proper place installed, I also closed and opened blender again, but after all of that it still wasn’t shown in search. Hmm … something in between land and sky :slight_smile: OK, forget it, thanks and sorry for bothering you :slight_smile:

1 Like

The functionality to configure hotkeys from add-on preferences is now available in the latest version of the toolkit (0.9.71). The usage is pretty intuitive. But here’s a short video that demonstrates how to change 1) “Snap to Vert” hotkey from Alt to T and 2) “Undo Last Seg” in Flexi Draw to Q (just as examples).

I could not find a suitable sample code for this particular requirement, so have done some experimental coding (which tends to be a bit hacky :slight_smile: ) So just let me know if you face any issues.

Please note, there are some reserved keys like X, Y, Z (used for locking to axis or plane), Space, Enter, Escape which are not available for assignment. Also if the key is already assigned, it can’t be assigned to another op again.

3 Likes

thank you for creating this plugin

id like to request a function or selection hover restriction
vertex mode select ( selects vertex ) , segment mode ( line or 2 points ) , spline select ( whole spline or curve )

similar to 3ds max splines

question

1. is there way to change spacebar = confirm into another key? like right click to confirm
    currently my spacebar is assigned as pan in 3d viewport

2. is it possible to activate the gizmo while using the tool?

3. how do i contrain to 90 degrees using shift or draw a straight line

1 Like

You might want to check the Flexi Edit tool and the other toolkit related videos (playlist link in the first post of this topic). There is now also delete segment and highlight snap point functionality available in Flexi Edit. I am planning to publish a short youtube video on the newer enhancements soon.

There are currently three ways to confirm: spacebar / enter / double click. Additionally, if you press Shift while confirming, the curve will be autoclosed. At the moment, this is not configurable due to some technical challenges in the code.

The gizmo tools are accessible in Flexi Edit. They are unusable only during drawing, and that’s a known issue. I tried to find a fix, but looks like there is no easy solution to the problem at this point. So currently, while using Flexi Draw, if you want to use the gizmos, you will have to switch to the select tool (hotkey - Escape).

You need to hold down Shift (configurable) to constrain the angle. Also, in origin drop-down, you will need to select Reference Line Point option. Please check this post.
Apart from constraining the angle, a number of other snapping & constraining features are available in all three Flexi tools. You might want to check out the related video.

1 Like

Hi Khemadeva,

I got an error that happen to me in some scene when closing a path and the strange thing is that if i open a new scene and do the same path tracing and it is working fine but once i have the error in a scene i cannot make it work again in that scene.

Here the error message that show up ;

Hi Polynut,

I checked the code and I think in the scene you are working on, there’s is a curve object with spline that has no Bezier points. (Spline is basically a separate part in curve, so for example in a curve converted from text there are roughly as many splines as letters. ) This is actually an invalid condition as each spline is supposed to have at least one Bezier point.
Please paste the following command in the console window (available in scripting workspace) and hit enter. This will show you all the curve objects with Bezier point count in each spline in them. The curve object with a Bezier point count zero for any of its spline is invalid and it may be better to delete and re-create it to avoid problems like this.

[(o.name, [len(s.bezier_points) for s in o.data.splines if s.type == 'BEZIER']) for o in bpy.data.objects if o.type == 'CURVE']

If possible, please share the blend file.

Again, for bugs, you might want to consider using the Github Issues page, so that we can have centralized tracking.

1 Like