Flexi Bezier Tool

Currently, I am working on some other priority task. And I may also need to do some research to implement the hotkey change, as I have not done that before.
So most likley, the configurable hotkeys feature will be available by 15th of November.
Hope that’s OK with you.

1 Like

Ofcourse, that’d be great.
While using this some more, I also wonder if ctrl-z wouldn’t be better than Backspace. Or x, possible? In either event, a key that’s available to the left hand without moving!
Similarly, I almost never use the delete key, I use ‘X’ instead.
More feedback about hotkeys: would Tab not make more sense to switch between Draw and Edit? That would mirror how Tab goes between Object and Edit mode!

Sorry to be giving so much feedback, I’m just using it and editing my post as I go :smiley:

1 Like

These all are very good and practical suggestions. I haven’t got much experience working with 3d modeling or graphics software, therefore such feedback is quite valuable for me. However, if we now change the hotkey combinations, it would be rather confusing for the users, who try to use the tool by watching the video tutorials. Of course, there will some deviations in future, but I would like to keep them to as few as possible.

The ops you have mentioned (like undo last segment in draw or toggle between draw and edit) will have configurable hotkeys anyway, so you can set the key combination of your liking when this feature is implemented.

1 Like

GENIUS…! So awesome. It works great. Thank you yet again.

1 Like

I am sorry but I have to disagree with you about this.

Blender users like hotkeys customization.

Even if video tutorials show steps and explanations done with the default Blender 2.8 hotkes, some users still prefer to use the Maya Hotkey Preset, or others may still want to use the Right Click Selection (yes, I know, that’s crazy :crazy_face:).

Even though video tutorials are done using the default hotkeys, that shouldn’t stop you from adding hotkey customization. Please consider adding customizable hotkeys. :pray:

To add customizable hotkeys, maybe you can have a look at these addons:

2 Likes

I have found a bug in the latest version, in Blender 2.8. Or get a error/“crash”.

If I’m using the Flexi Edit Mode, and click a Spline Vert/Knot while holding the Ctrl Key, I get an error, then the tool stops working.

1 Like

You need not be sorry, all disagreements are most welcome. They lead to new and better ideas :slight_smile:

So do I : ) … And I never said, I am against implementing the configurable hotkeys. All I wanted to say was, if we change the default hotkeys frequently, a new user trying to use the tool, following the video tutorial will get frustrated to find nothing working as shown in the video.

Sure, just give me some time. I will go through the pointer you have given. But maybe it would take another couple of week or so as there is something else I need to finish in the next few days.
Hope that’s OK with you.
Again, I appreciate all your support and feedback.
Do keep up your interest in the tool :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thank you for the bug report. This is fixed in the latest version.

Also, just a suggestion… You may want to report bugs on Github issues page.
It’s easier to track it that way.

5 Likes

Thank you! Will do! :pray:

1 Like

Delete segment is now supported. You can select multiple segments from multiple curves / splines and hit delete to delete all of them (without distorting the other segments : )

It’s also possible to select and delete segments and Bézier points in one go.

(It’s rather convoluted piece of logic so you may come across bugs in some [rare] conditions. Do please let me know if you come across any.)

13 Likes

Fantastic!!

2 Likes

Hi Khemadeva i hope everything is going well for you and i just try to install on 2.82 but it doesn’t work!

Do you have any estimate time to upgrade it to 2.82?

There is many essential tools in my workflow(sculpt mainly) in 2.82 so i am trying to work as much as i can with it.

Hi Polynut! I am doing quite well, thank you :slight_smile: Hope things are good with you as well.

What problem are you facing with the toolkit on 2.82 exactly?
I have been using the add-on in 2.82 off and on and haven’t seen any problem so far. I did a quick check again with a fresh build from today’s source. And there doesn’t seem to be any problem.

I hope you are using the latest add-on version (0.9.70).

Do let me know the specific problem details and I will get back to you.

2 Likes

I will try it again and i have download the github zip, it was working in 2.81 so the tools i want were in 2.81 so 2.82 is not essential for the moment.

Thank for the quick reply my friend.

Hi Khemadeva,

Do you think these features would be possible since it would make your tool the best bezier addon of all ;

If you are familiar with 3ds max

1-chamfer

2-fillet

3-outline

2 Likes

After i install the latest version i cannot draw a straight line anymore while holding the shift key?

Edit: never mind i found how to make it work like before; you just need to select reference line point to make it constraint to straight line while holding shift.

1 Like

Glad that you figured it out. Perhaps Reference Line Point should be the default selection in the Snap Origin drop down, as it would be the most frequently required behaviour.

There are some really cool and powerful snapping options in the newer version of the toolkit. If you have not seen the video on Snapping & Locking Framework , I would suggest that you take out some time to go through it, at least once.

Yes, I am planning to include these features. Do you have any short and simple videos that demonstrate the functionality?

As I mentioned in one of my earlier posts, the plan is to first refactor the Flexi Edit to make selection of points and segments consistent (this is mostly finished now) and then, maybe, implement tools to draw primitive shapes (like circle / ellipse and polygon, to start with) . So maybe I will work on the things you mentioned after these items are taken care of.

But first of all, of course, Configurable Hotkeys… it’s missed by many users :slight_smile:

And just btw, the tool need not be “the best of all”, I would be happy even if it’s just a robust and useful tool, helping the creative people out there. The frustration one experiences when something doesn’t work in an intuitive way, is well known to me. Fortunately, with Blender Python APIs, the user is now not so helpless anymore :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Yes i think that putting reference line point as default would be more intuitive.

Thank i will have a look at link you provide for snapping video.

Here a video featuring 3ds max fillet&chamfer;

Here the outline tool ;

Your addon is already a blender must have for any serious artist out there and you are a real gentlemen and the community is very happy for what you have done so far.

4 Likes

Affinity Designer has a good corner/fillet/chamfer interactive tool…

*for archviz/precise modeling some way to type corner radius values is essential.

5 Likes

Hi Khemadeva,

I am not sure if your addon has this functionality but i am doing a lot of bezier work and often i would like to trace only one side of a curve and then mirror it to save work but in blender it’s hell on earth to merge 2 curves point since f make extra long bezier handle and you then have to adjust each one of them to match the shape and it is taking insane amount of time for something that should be simple!

So is there a simple weld like command to weld 2 curve point together?

1 Like