Flight of the Navigator

Following on from a recent thread about this ship by Thesonofhendrix - I decided to resurrect my model and do some more work on it.

I have tried to make the normal version of the ship a lot more screen accurate and have gone over the proportions against some new screen grabs from the blu-ray of the movie.

I also decided I wanted to do the aerodynamic flight mode too with a view to being able to morph them as they do in the movie - however there are far fewer good references for this mode, especially concerning the underlying topology and the ability to morph very much depends on this so…

I decided to do an aerodynamic mode, but reimagined based on the topology of my model instead. I’m a little sad I couldn’t do a more screen accurate version, but I think it looks ok and I can easily create a shape key morph as the underlying topology of these two models is identical.

1 Like

Morph animation using shapekeys

1 Like

Another morph test - this time trying to re-cerate a scene from the movie when it flies over the ocean.

4 Likes

Just in case you are interested, I stumbled across this video on youtube that was put up in the last few days, showing how this ship was created and how the FX shots were done in the movie. Really interesting.

1 Like

I saw that. He did a follow up video showing how he modelled the ship in blender for this video (with links to reference images too). Looks more accurate than mine - so I might give it another go.

Very well done! Is the model for the aerodynamic mode available for download anywhere?

There are relatively few clear references for that mode. I haven’t found an accurate depiction of it.