flip and dup RVK on a single mesh

Hi there. I’m a complete newbie at Blender so perhaps I just haven’t searched long or hard enough for this answer…

I’ve created a head mesh which I intend to animate with RV keys. Heads, of course, are conveniently symmetrical. However, animations aren’t always. Also, moving one side of the face often influences the other side as well…

Most of my animations I’ve written for one side of the face. What I’d like to do is duplicate and mirror RVKs to so that I have keys like “smile.L” and “smile.R” all attached to the same mesh.

Surely there’s a simple way to do this…

What I’d like to do is duplicate and mirror RVKs to so that I have keys like “smile.L” and “smile.R” all attached to the same mesh.

The best way is to use the Mirror.py script, you can find it here:

http://ashsid.szm.sk/mirror_eng.htm

With this tool you can “copy/paste” the flipped “mesh pose” so you can insert mesh keys later on.

Regards.

malefico.

Thanks for the tip. I’ve been messing around with it and still can’t get anywhere.

I think the problem is that RVKs only store vertex offsets so that the mesh itself is not actually modified. Thus any amount of flipping I do to the mesh has no effect on the deformation, since the mesh is symmetrical to begin with.

The doc has brief mention of RVKs but no details…

I suppose I’ll just have to do it by hand for each side… or play around with Blender’s internals (which I’m not to keen on yet).

the script works for RVK’s too!
just insert a rvk key !
(i used it- it’s a brilliant time saver)