FLIP Fluids Addon: A liquid fluid simulation tool for Blender

Will this addon be able to mix different kinds of fluids? If yes, will it be able to mix different viscosities and/or different materials? For example, can you mix red and plue paint resulting in purple paint?

The simulator is not able to support multiple fluids with different materials at the moment. Inside the simulator, all of the fluid is the same and meshed all as one fluid. Adding functionality for multiple fluids would require a few complicated changes to the engine that I do not yet know how to do such as how to handle fluid material mixing, how to handle the physics calculations for the interface between two fluids, how to mesh two separate fluids so that they are renderable.

This would be a very cool feature to have, but it may be much further into the future until I am knowledgeable enough to implement this.

However, mixing fluids with different viscosities is planned for the not-too-distant future. The viscosity solver is capable of handling variable viscosities throughout the domain.

This is excellent work. Keep it up guys :- )

Will the liquid push riggid (or soft) bodies?

Can I become a beta tester?
I do have a 5820k, 32gb ddr4 and two GTX 1070.

Addon works very well so far. Good job @RLGUY

Best,
Chris

Thatā€™s some decent simulation you got there, mind telling us how long it took to cache?

The simulator only supports scripted obstacle objects. This means that the obstacles can affect the fluid, but the fluid cannot affect (push around) the obstacles. The movement of a rigid body or soft body simulation must be baked before running the fluid simulation.

Feel free to send in an application. Unfortunately, we cannot guarantee a testing slot to everyone that applies. We only have enough resources to maintain a limited number of testing slots. If you apply, there is still a chance you will be selected for the next for future wave of invites!

Awesome looking simulation and render! Thanks for sharing!

Iā€™m also super interested in this. Iā€™ll set up a GitHub account tomorrow and send an application.

Amazing work guys. Fluid sims are so much fun. It was one of the first things I went to when I started Blender only a few months ago but I became increasingly frustrated at the limitations of Blenders fluid system. This looks so bloody good.

Sim Time: 1:07:32; Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.20GHz, 32GB RAM

Not bad, thanks for sharing!

Viscosity Solver is based on particles or on voxels?
And the same question for Whitewater.

I would like to do some test with the addon ,

• Email Address - [email protected]
  • GitHub Username - draguu
  • Operating System - windows
  • CPU Model - 5960x extream processor
  • GPU/Chip Model- titanx (12 GB)
  • RAM Size (GB) - 16

let me know if you need any other info

hello, just a quick question, is this addon going to be multi platform or just windows only?
thanks

@draguu, thanks for your details! I have entered your info into the application pool.

At the moment, only the Windows operating system is supported. This is because we are currently developing on the Windows platform and it is easy for us to create and distribute builds of the addon for Windows users.

We do hope to support OS X and Linux operating systems in the future. The fluid engine code is written to be cross platform and should theoretically run on OS X and Linux, but will require testing to ensure that it does. We also need to find a reliable way of testing and creating builds for OS X and Linux.

OS X Support

At the moment we do not have access to a system with the OS X operating system installed. This will be required to create OS X builds and for testing

Linux Support

In order for us to support Linux, we will need to find a way to reliably test and create builds that will work on the many distributions of Linux.

The FLIP simulation method uses both voxels and particles to simulate the fluid. Both the viscosity solver and whitewater simulator is based on a particles/voxel combination also.

Is the lack of surface tension forces what causes the flickering around the edges? In this simulation, rendered with opengl, the domain is a 4 meter cube and the sphere the fluid is inside of is 3.4 meters in diameter. The grid resolution is 90, FLIP fluid surface subdivisions is 0, smoothing is 1 with a repeat of 24, and Iā€™m using the basic whitewater preset.

I would suggest turning down the smoothing repetitions. It looks like that is causing a lot of the flickering. I would suggest leaving it at the default values. You may use the ā€˜Smoothā€™ Blender modifier instead and that way you can change the amount of smoothing after baking. Increasing the subdivisions to 1 will generate a higher quality fluid surface which will prevent flickering also.

EDIT: Also, check if your Display Settings in the viewport are set to ā€˜Finalā€™ to make sure youā€™re seeing the final quality mesh. Iā€™m not able to tell if that is the case in the animation.

Yes, my view is on Final. Thanks for the suggestions.

For the Domain, in the FLIP Fluid World, under Viscosity, can the value there be used to make it the same as some ā€œreal worldā€ substance? I tried setting it to 0.1 and itā€™s still quite thick. Definitely thicker than when I have Enable Viscosity unchecked.

Iā€™m trying to get something thatā€™s thicker than when Enable Viscosity is unchecked but not as thick as when itā€™s at 0.1. Iā€™m trying to ā€œdrawā€ with an Inflow object onto a vertical flat surface with the gravity set to 0, then make it drip down by keyframing gravity to come up to -9.8 later on. So far all Iā€™ve managed to do is have the fluid fall off the flat surface in a ropy strand, not drip down.

The viscosity value in this simulator doesnā€™t relate to a real life physical quantity. So if you copy a real life viscosity value into the simulator, it may not match the visual thickness of the real life liquid. The simulator should be able to handle viscosity values as low as 0.001, so I would experiment with viscosity values lower then 0.1 if it is still too thick.

Tip: When experimenting with viscosity, try values in the range of 0 to 10 to get an idea of how the simulation will look. If you want to experiment with even thicker liquids, then you can try values up to around 100.

Another tip: The visual ā€˜thicknessā€™ of the fluid is dependant on the size of the simulation domain. For example, a viscosity value may appear ā€˜thickā€™ in a small domain size, but if the same value is used in a larger domain, the fluid may appear visually ā€˜thinā€™.