Floating Windows

Oh yeah, sorry, had a dumb moment. Thanks a bunch :slight_smile:

Hi @BD3D,
Nice addon by the way, rather convenient. :yum:

Error reports
These reports are from Blender 3.0, Windows 10.

Missing Keymap name for "floatingwindows.callpie

There is a small issue with the addon in the keymap

As you can see, it does not show a command name, which makes it difficult to troubleshoot keymap conflicts later on.

I would really like to have the windows ‘snapped’ into place the way Windows does this when hitting Windows key + arrow key, but to achieve this, I need to make the window 20 pixels wider and move it in the X direction by -10 pixels, see the two reports below.

Windows are slightly resized

For some reason, I haven’t been able to pinpoint, certain windows are resized. My monitor has a resolution of 3840x2160px, yet a 3840px wide window is smaller than it is supposed to be based on the pixel settings.

Relative to main window is offset by 10 pixels

On my 4k monitor, relative to main monitor places the window ~10 pixels to the right of the top left corner of the monitor.

And there are some python error messages when I open non-3d viewports. Is the addon not meant to be used for these editors?

Error when opening the filebrowser

Error when opening the asset manager

There is an error opening the asset browser as floating window:

This happens with T&N Panel, Header and Render Resolution Size Unchecked.

Feature request

Feature request: open window on second monitor

When I open a new window on my second 4k monitor, by using an offset of 5000px, the window is opened, but it is opened at +5000px on the first monitor, rather than moving it over to the second. Is it possible to add an option to open the window on a second monitor?

Hey @BD3D, I noticed a small bug in the code.
When we select ‘Preferences’ in the Editor section, it automatically resets to ‘Asset Manager’. I think it’s happening due to both Asset Manager and Preferences having the same values, line 651 onwards.

Changing the Preferences value to 21 fixed the issue for me. Cheers!

1 Like

Any chance to add Geometry Nodes window to list?

1 Like

Are you saying that geonode editor is not in the editor list ? :face_with_monocle:

Just found out about this addon and it’s really handy, thank you so much for it! Bought it on Blendermarket but there are no downloads, is that by design, as in it’s just a donation link?

Couple of things:

1. Error for Text Editor (3.1.0 Alpha. Curiously, I’m not getting @Hologram 's errors though) :

line 522, in execute sv3d.show_region_toolbar = self.sv3d_tn AttributeError: ‘SpaceTextEditor’ object has no attribute ‘show_region_toolbar’ location: :-1

1. If you mistype your icon name, pie-creation gets abandoned at that point (if you mistype in the “Left” tab, nothing gets shown in the pie since that’s the first one). No big deal really, just letting people know.

1. Can’t choose Properties. It selects Asset Browser instead if you click on it.
  2. Geometry Nodes editor is not listed.
  3. I’d like it if I could have pie sections not created if I don’t want all eight, but eh…

Thanks again!

1 Like

btw thanks @udayan
that’s kind of obvious
shame of me !

line 522, in execute sv3d.show_region_toolbar = self.sv3d_tn AttributeError: ‘SpaceTextEditor’ object has no attribute ‘show_region_toolbar’ location: :-1

Maybe that’s because some area do not have either T/N panel or header, error is telling me they removed the text editor toolbar ? hard to guess if they keep changing ui around at each version :melting_face:

1. If you mistype your icon name, pie-creation gets abandoned at that point (if you mistype in the “Left” tab, nothing gets shown in the pie since that’s the first one). No big deal really, just letting people know.

You can use the “Icon viewer” plugin to see the name of icons

1. I’d like it if I could have pie sections not created if I don’t want all eight, but eh…

Solution: Fill the pie with stuff ! :rocket:

it’s depending on the window handle fatness, so it vary from users to users, screen resolution and general window UI scale

Fixed
Here’s Floating windows 1.1
FloatingWindows.py (38.8 KB)

However note that you’ll lost all settings upon reinstall,
if someone wants to add a .json settings exporter/importer, or perhaps implement the blender preset system be me guest ! :smile: It might be a good idea for beginners who’s looking to improve their python addon skills

4 Likes

Well, too late for that! I should’ve finished reading the post first haha.

It was a version problem. I’m using 3.1.0 Alpha, specifically the latest one before they switched to Beta and this new version still had the GeoNodes missing. Re-installing it from the latest Beta fixed it somehow though and now it works even in my Alpha, so everything’s a-ok. Just perks of living on the cutting edge.

Thank you very much!

The window fatness makes sense.

What about opening a new window on a second monitor? Is that possible?

use “Relative to main monitor”

When I use that with an X offset of 5000 pixels (3840x2160 monitors} it moves the window inside the bezel, not over to the other monitor. So the window ‘virtually’ still resides inside the first monitor.

I will surely try this one out! Thanks @BD3D

Hey @Hologram, these settings seem to work for me on my dual monitor setup.

@udayan Weird, for me it doesn’t.

Fortunately I can move the window over using Windows’ shortcuts for snapping the window.

Great little tool, I got this on Blender Market and notice there is a small bug/typo in the code for the Preferences option the index is wrong, it is 20, which is Assets, it should be 21.

To correct replace: 'PREFERENCES',20 with 'PREFERENCES',21

All the best guys!

1 Like

@MarkBTomlinson i think i fixed this already last month

2 Likes

Okay then the version on the Blender Market needs updating, loving the tool such a nice idea!

Hi, Im having trouble with blender 3.1.1 using the addon. When I try open the shader node window in floating windows blender just hangs and then crashes. Could you please check this for me. I’m using the version you posted above this post.

Windows 11 ?