Flooded carpark - Short film

Ehm, is this still in progress or did i miss something?

Would love to see how it turns/ed out

hehe. Thanks for being interested!!
And don’t worry I’m not giving up on it! (not after all this effort)

I’ve actually hit a road block. I tried to render a 250 frame animation, but blender is now crashing when it reaches frame 127. The reason?

http://www.ironbarkstudios.com.au/misc/flood-small.jpg

Too complex!

You can read the full thread here.
But basically, I’m rendering this on Windows 32-bit machine with 2Gb of Ram - which is not ideal. What it really wants is a 64-bit Linux OS with upwards of 4GB of RAM. You can get around it obviously by lowering the resolution of the fluid, but hey… I want this to look good. :slight_smile:

So… in 2 weeks time, I’m taking a full week off work solely to buy, assemble and install a dedicated Linux rendering box. I hope to make some serious progress in that time.

Watch this space :wink:

you could split the movie in several parts and render every part alone :slight_smile: so you
won’t have crashed!

@maybeapreacher:
I think, the problem is the single frame.
Because there is too little memory to render this single frame number 127/128.
(I just repeated what someone wrote in your other thread, i know :slight_smile: just wanted to summarize.)

Unfortunately I’m already doing that :o
The fluid is on a separate render layer as are the lights.

Maybe you could get someone with a beastly machine or render farm to render this for you?

Are the carpark floors in Australia really that smooth?

I would expect them to be out of concrete and have more bump in them.

Secondly. The car looks weird. I don’t know if its just your reflection settings on the material. But the car doesn’t look smooth. The metal looks crumpled. That makes it kind of stand out from the scene. Also because of the color scheme.

I’m guessing your gonna render the final animation with the blender Internal Renderer. You might wanna try faking some color spill from the surrounding surfaces via subdued colored lights, or try and alter the colors of the car in postproduction.

Are the carpark floors in Australia really that smooth?

YES.
Shopping Mall carparks have smooth floors:
to better push your trolleys.
to get better speed on your skateboard.
to stop granny tripping over herself & suing.
to make the wheels on your car squeal.
There are many reasons.
Mostly because in Australia…Everything is Smooth!

Oh, ok.

Do you have photo references? Its just that the floor right now looks like its linoleum. Or something like that. But maybe I’m just nitpicking since its CGI.

Hi everyone!
Finally got Ubuntu installed on a brand new 6600 Quad Core, 8GB Ram beast. Which means production has resumed and I’ve got some work to show you :slight_smile:

Scene
Did a bit of work on the lighting and overall look of the scene, made the floor shiny, worked on store entrance, added letters to the parking columns:
http://www.ironbarkstudios.com.au/misc/05OCT08-small.jpg
(click for really big)

Here is a 360 Degree camera pan, taken from the center of the carpark:
http://www.ironbarkstudios.com.au/misc/360-thumbnail.jpg

Fluids!
At an average render time of 4 minutes per frame here’s the opening water splash:
http://www.ironbarkstudios.com.au/misc/fluids-thumbnail.jpg

So what do you think? See something that doesn’t look right? Let me know!

First let me say the modeling, texturing and rendering are fantastic.

There were two things that caught my eye, just as someone watching and not as an expert by any stretch of the imagination.

1. When the lights are side on it seems that the reflection on the floor should be wider but I am not sure.

2. The water hitting the wall seemed to be too large for the scale. I have not messed with fluids enough to have a solution but it seemed like someone pouring water into a miniature.

Great job though.

I agree with Javadog. The scaling seems weird to me. It’s very prevalent 10-12 sec into the vid. It looks like massive drops of water. Another thing is that there are a lot of smaller drops in the begining and end that end up looking like marbles, of some sort, and not like water.

Lol, I though the pictures were renders…
The renders look awesome anyways. The only thing that comes to my head to improve is motionblur, the water isn’t perfectly realistic either, it… like bounces around.

Hey thanks for the tips guys!

Not quite sure what you meant with that. Can you explain? Do you want more or less blur?

Yes, this I definitely agree with. I’m not sure why it goes all globby at that point. Kinda looks like some massive chunks of jelly got thrown in. I’m going to up the resolution of the fluid in my next test. Hopefully that will solve it.

Cool, to much spec or reflec?

Just the scene alone is great.
Then the fluid sim makes it even more interesting.
I have been playing with fluid sims and I always seem to have problems.
Anyway I just thought it would be cool if you made a tutorial on what you did. I’m not looking for anything in particular but you have done a good job with yours and I wanted to know how you did it.

Keep up the great work

You know what it had actually been a while since I played with fluids and when I went into Blender and tried to recreate your test effect (not the parking lot one) I set it up and had it working without any problems. It is actually really simple. I don’t what problems I was having but I don’t think I need a tut on this, just showing off my nubeness.

Continue keeping up the great work.

This is a very cool video.

I think you should place a plane right in front of the camera. set the alpha on the plane to 0 and set the plane as an obstacle. then, when the fluid hits the plane, it’ll look like it splashes on the camera. Yeah, just an idea I had. could look cool.

Wow ! Excellent lighting !