Floor Constraint and For Transform

Greetings Blender Artists,

I’ve got two cubes. Cube 1 has got a Limit Location constraint so its Z value can’t go lower than a set value. Because For Transform is checked, when I move it below the set value, the Z value stops decreasing and when I pick the cube back up it immediately pops back up from where it stands.

Now, Cube 2 has got a Floor constraint. Problem is, when I drag the Cube below the floor, the Cube will stop moving as expected, but its Z value will keep decreasing, meaning that when I pick it up, it first has to travel all this invisible difference.

Is there anything like For Transform for Floor constraints?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

Floor Constraint and For Transform.blend (484 KB)

Floor constraint is like limit location except for local space instead of transform space - it is supposed to block objects/bones from going over a set limit, just like the other one, except only objects/bones that you don’t control directly, id est that are either children of the bones you are manipulating or constrained by them.

Why don’t you use the limit location​ constraint on Cube2 as well ?

Hadrien

Because a Floor constraint works better in an armature for animating, when for example a character’s footing moves to higher or lower ground or if he feels like wall running or anything else that requires for his feet not to sink through the floor magically. It’s easier to include a bone called “Floor” with the feet constrained to it with a Floor constraint.

Hence the question, is there anything like For Transform for Floor constraints?

Makes sense ! Well, I don’t think so, although I cannot imagine a good reason why “for transform” wouldn’t exist for the floor constraint. Certainly something worth suggesting to the developers.

As I understand it you want this “limit bone” (the one placed on the floor, or wall) to act as a kind of helper when placing the character’s feet. I would suggest snapping your controllers to strategically placed empties to achieve a similar behaviour.

Hadrien