Florence Cathedral 3D Scene

This is a 3d environment based on the florence cathedral in italy, an italian gothic, renaissance architectural building made in 1436, up to 114 meters high. It is an extremely detailed architectural wonder. Decidede to make this building as my latest project for practicing modular kit creation, modelling with modular workflows, using trim sheets and tileable textures for memory saving and also exteriors and compositing creating exterior environments, as well as improving my lighting skills.
The whole model has approx 8 materials, including 3 core materials, (building bricks, details and colors) with a window/metal materials as well as the statues materials (statues located in the front entrance).
The model has approx 1.5M verts and faces, +500 pieces made by 63 individual modular assets, with 4 UV channels each.
The whole project was completed in 3 weeks including refference process, planning, blocking and rendering/compositing.

If you wanna see the full project, go to: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/GXYKAN

38 Likes

I can’t put it into words how impressive this is. For someone who has used Blender for quite a bit I don’t know if I should feel inspired or straight up intimidated by the fact that I am not even remotely close to such a great piece of artwork. You are a big inspiration! Keep it up, love your stuff of artstation.

2 Likes

when i worked on my personal projects i also thought that i was nothing compared to the big ones, but slowly i’ve got better and better every single day, ignore that feeling and focus on YOUR work, it’ll come by itself, thanks a lot!

3 Likes

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

2 Likes

Woah ! Impressive !

The lightning is way too much théâtral tho. Maybe it’s ok purpose ?

1 Like

It’s on purpose indeed! Thanks a lot!

You’re on the #featured row! :+1:

1 Like

Wow… have no words…

congrats

1 Like

You did a great work on modeling, although you missed that the cupola is not radial symmetrically in the reality.

However, as a Florentine I don’t like what you did with it, you’ve made it look like a circus, and the lighting is horribly unrealistic.
Also the other images in ambient have a bad dull light, sorry to say.

1 Like

Dang, well, sorry about that

1 Like

Amazing work. I especially like the modularity. Can you build all kinds of cathedrals with this kit?

1 Like

All the kind of cathedrals you want mate, thanks a lot!

Awesome detail.
But the night lighting looks fake. May be it’s just Blender’s limitations though.