Fluid Control test

Just a quick test of the new Blender 2.48 fluid control feature:

http://users.xplornet.com/~gimble/control_xvid.avi

System:
Q9450 Linux 64

took about 15 to 30 minutes to bake and about 18 hours to render.

could you make a pdf tutorial of this or a similar procedure?

Hi edwin

I could make a tutorial but there really isn’t much to it.

I’ve just been experimenting with it since 2.48 came out and this is what I found works:

• place your control object in the fluid (or at least the control has to be within the radius value you set for the Attraction Strength radius to the fluid (if your aim is to get a spherical fluid shape) )

• set start/end time to match the length of your fluid animation (for its control to last the entire length of the animation)

• set Attraction Strength radius to a small value say 0.05 if you want it to conform to the shape of your control object,

• adjust the Velocity settings if you want to control the fluid from sloshing around too much (to avoid hitting the side of the domain for instance)

• (Important) increase Quality setting 40 is good, higher is better. (as is the case with your Fluid resolution)

• set key frames so your control object is in the fluid at the start and above the fluid at the end

• animate using a fluid ipo type to vary the Attraction Strength.

If you want the fluid to start out in the shape of your object and then fall back into the fluid at the end, just press [Reverse].

I think that’s it.

I’ll post a blend file soon also.

Wow, that’s a very nice little animation! Certainly as far as fluid and water stuff goes, it is way better than most imho. Yes, please post the blend file!

I have a thread here:

http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=138919

Am wondering about the ‘control’ and ‘Tracer Particles’ (???)

Here’s an early prototype version of the file I used to make the animation:

http://users.xplornet.com/~gimble/f_02.blend

You’ll need to edit the Path variable in the standard domain options for your own system and bake the results.

Glendaloch:

Those are some nice fluid animations.
I believe that the control particles and other particle types are unrelated (could be wrong).
Control particles affect how fluid is attracted or repelled to/from the control object, and the tracer particles are meant more for adding things like bubbles/foam to the fluid.

Gimble:

Thanks for generously posting the blend file!

Looking over it and baking the simulation, think I understand most of it, only one thing just really can’t work out:

This is the letter F object, can’t see it anywhere until the simulation is baked (also the 2nd cube doesn’t appear?). I checked in the ‘outliner’ and even though it is active, still no visual representation in the viewport. Looked up the manual etc. and can’t work out how this is happening?

Think I get the ipo editor, how it is working, there is a slight delay for the ‘Attraction Strength’ to drop off -it seems to happen after you have brought the value down all the way?

And one more question if you don’t mind (sorry about all these Q.s, just got really taken by your animation):

Right at the beginning, in the first few frames (of the finished animation first posted here) the water appears to be running down hill (inflow and outflow?) and then hits a bit in which the initial velocity seems to be set to go up against it, perhaps? Is this what is happening to create the first little splash in middle of the field (before the letters appear) or is it something completely different?

Thanks again for posting!

Glendaloch:

Ah, sorry about that - I moved the fluid and control objects to layer 3 to get a better look at the results. I’ve moved everything back to layer 1 and re-uploaded the blend file (same name ‘f_02.blend’).

• I guess the fluid simulator doesn’t require everything on the same layer to work.

The Attraction Strength ipo was added to cause the fluid to move from the control object and fall back into the fluid at the bottom (at the end of the animation). I didn’t notice a lag; but I can take a closer look.

I’m not really sure what causes the ripple at the start.
Perhaps having the Attraction Strength set to 0 at the start for all the control objects OR setting the Attraction Strength radius to 0 instead of 0.05 might remove that effect. I sort of liked it, so I didn’t remove it/try to fix it.

I didn’t use any inflow/outflow objects. The appearance of the fluid moving due to a tilt is probably just an optical illusion due to the camera being slightly rotated. (The initial ripple is some sort of interaction with the control object(s) I suspect.)

I was more concerned with the static frame 1, but rendering out to images would make it easy to fix that.

Another simple fluid animation:
(sort of a morph effect by transferring Attraction strength from one control object to another)

http://users.xplornet.com/~gimble/star_01.mpg

That Star animation is great! (Christmas Decorations) You should maybe put it against an evening winter sky and surface it transparent or sliver or something(?)

Thanks for explaining about the invisible F, knew there was an easy logical explanation, felt stumped puzzling over it. Only know Blender for the Fluids and the Sculpting. Am hoping to start on some of the dynamics one of these days.

Also thanks for all the other information about other aspects of the animation, really appreciate it, the ripple (looks great) and the camera being slightly rotated. Yeah, everything really came out well. Keep posting!

A new test using an animated armature combined with a fluid control object:

http://users.xplornet.com/~gimble/test_33_xvid2.avi

I still need to make some tweaks, but it’s getting there.

Really nice animation. But I think the water material in the first test was a lot better. This one looks a little bit metallic. The liquid resolution looks high, but the drops at the end are a little bit to big. What about lowering the viscosity?

check this animated fluid sim tutorial it covers particles and controll as well as most other fluid features!

http://www.pkblender.it/

Are they ever gonna make a build for mac?