Fluids experiments for an SFX short named "The wave"

Hi everybody !

Here is some experiments I’ve done with LowRes Fluids, refined by several techniques i currently test.

http://vimeo.com/13413138

The overall effect it still WIP. There’s still need a lot of work to achieve a realistic result.

The final goal is to create a realistic giant wave flowing into a city’s street (only using Blender), using lot of camera mapping techniques.

So, there first tests are only focused on shading, rendering and baking optimisation. :wink:

More informations can be found in the description of the video.

Any feedbacks and comments are welcome … Thanks !!! :wink:

Well. you asked for feedback and comment, but everything I’ve seen you done (tornado, this fluid sim etc) is simply great. You know of ways to push more out of the sims it seems. I’m anxious in seeing how you pull this off. Is there a SPH build from farsthary lurking around? Maybe it can help you out too?

Very nice, great work!

CoyHot, this is good stuff! One thing I thought of: a turbulent inflow catches air and forces it under the liquid surface, to be released more slowly as bubbles or foam. Or maybe you are already working on that.

There is a method that someone discovered to make bubbles with the fluidsim. I only remember that it was a simple trick. I’ll check with the search function and report later on…

Hi, Coyhot !
Did you use 2.5 ? Did you try to use particules with point density texture ?
Line rendering is interesting for tracer particles.
But I don’t like very much your floats’ rendering .

It will be interesting to see how you will make it past the 10 meter domain limit and all the timing issues that arise once you go beyond the basic setup that you have shown in your test video.

Hey Zeauro ! My friend !!! (Zeauro and I talk together everyday about dynamic animation at the French Blender Community “Blender Clan”).

–> Zeauro : It’s funny to see that we have exactly the same idea at the same time. I just start testing rendering using Volumic Shader and Point density texture. I’ll tell you if i can get someting good with this technique. :wink: And yes … it’s done using Blender 2.5.I use Line Rendering for Tracer particles, but with a really tiny lenght … nearly similar to point, but easier to render than “Halos”. :o Motion vector are extracted from the fluid itself and apply to the fluid AND the particles, producing the “Splash effect” at impact point. :smiley:

–> toontje : Thanks a lot for your comments … :o In that case, simulation is 100% Fluidsim. SPH is a really exciting feature and I really love it ! But isosurfaces are not implemented yet (as far as I know) and it’s really difficult to render giant wave without any surface … :smiley: But … in the same time, i test another technique using SPH and Billboard rendering and i achieve really realistic results for any kind of continuous flow of water like river, waterfalls, etc … I’ll show you when i’ll be totaly satisfied by the resulting render. At last, my project will probably be a mix of both techniques. To generate underwater bubbles, before Blender 2.46 i previously used “Static particles” who was destored by the mesh (Zeauro, did you remind my tutorial for Comupter Arts about TF1 jingles, with the green jelly shader ?). I guess it’s possible to reproduce this behavior with particles generated with “Volume” emission technique. I’ll test this in a few days. :wink:

–> Atom : Thank you for the info about the 10 meter limit. I never heard about that :confused: In this case, i think it’s not a real problem. By combining FluidSim and SPH/Billboard technique, FluidSim can be bake at really low resolution and finally “refine” (fake) using some modifiers like Subdivision, Displace … and more, as I used them in my video.

Like Zeauro … I’d really like Reactor particles to be back soon … it could be really usefull to automaticaly generate splashes at collisions.

Well, I’ll continue to work on this project (kind of a quest for me :)) and i’ll show any progression of there techniques.

Once again, thanks all for your feedbacks !!! :smiley:

The 10 meter limit (but I think 1 meter is already pushing the envelope) is only relevant in close ups. And if you are doing closeups anyway, it’s better to have a localized small highres domain.

But for long shots the challenge would be to not let it look like creeping mud. I wonder if the smoke sim could be used for this. The parameters could be tweaked (very dense and heave smoke, high G-force) to make look like fluid I think. Maybe with bigger error steps in the integrator you’ll get that high frequency artifacts that’s similar to splashes and droplets.

Looks great!.. I liked the last two with more “foamy” look. Haven’t seen Blender looking that real before. In most test I’ve seen the smaller drops are quite big and shaky. Here they look much better. You got nice level of detail even thought as you mention they are low-res. Would love to see the high-res ones if these are low-res!.. Congrats!

These are the best water sim renders i ever seen. Expecially the last.

Most of what i’ve seen looked like jelly.
My guess, it’s because they were allways displayed to slow. Slow water looks like jelly.

hi that’s really nice result… can you do some tutorial or making of? thanks in advance