Flummoxed by trying to create embossed or engraved effect

Hello there,
I was wondering if someone could please spare some advice?

I am trying to create either an embossed or engraved effect using a SVG file.
The image can be correctly positioned and wrapped around the front part of the lightsabre however I cannot seem to achieve either the relief or engraved effect.

I have tried keeping the svg as a curve, converting to mesh but to no avail. Extruding it and leaving it flat.
The SVG is in two parts the inner and outer ring, I have joined the two parts together to form one object and I’ve also tried keeping them separate.

After many hours of watching vids and reading I can’t seem to find anything which directly meets my criteria and I am at a loss to what to do.
Maybe I’m just about this in a completely wrong way or maybe at this stage I am biting off more than I can chew?

Being new to BlenderArtist I can only attach a single file and not the actual Blender file which gives the most info. With this I’ve opted for an jpeg although I’m not sure how helpful that will be; sorry about that.
I do have additional images, the Blender file and the SVG file prepared already should it required.

P.S. I’m new to Blender and 3D modelling (3 weeks) so my knowledge is pretty scant, I usually try and work things out myself but this has left me completely stuck.

If you have Inkscape, you can import your .svg file and export it as a .png. With the pixel based image you can emboss a surface with Blender’s Displacement modifier.

Blender Manual: Displacement Modifier

Additional images can be posted as a reply to the thread, and also
http://pasteall.org/pic/
http://pasteall.org/blend/

Like always, the end use of the model and the pipeline stages it goes through before that dictate how we model, in that order. You didn’t specify, which means many if’s.

• If it’s for 3D printing, the only option is to make it real geometry, but the final structure doesn’t matter much
  • If it’s going to be a game asset, the high detail model may use floating geometry, which are used to bake details on a normal map and put on lower resolution model
  • If it’s for rendering, depending on the camera angle
    • could also use floating geometry with or without bump/normal map to cheat details that don’t show up in the silhouette
    • or if it doesn’t break the illusion, could use bump or normal map alone
    • or if you want it as geometry, could use micro displacement in render time which tesselates the surface to support the details for the texture. That can also add extra detail with bump

Displacement modifier is not a good idea. What it does is move vertices that are there, and if you haven’t modeled the structure for the 2D detail on the rounded surface, it won’t give a nice and smooth forms on the detail. It won’t look great if you have a grid structure and push the vertices up/down on that to describe a circle - The structure doesn’t follow the circular form, and the edges look like crap.

That’s also why you can’t just push a curve against the rounded surface and have your detail. The faces on the curve just connect the vertices around, and ordering those vertices to the rounded form will make severely non-planar faces. There are ways to get to that but this post is long enough

1 Like

Thank you very much for all of he advice, much appreciated.

Thank you for your help and the link:)