Flying Island Hand Painted Model

This project was my first experiment with hand painted texturing. It consists of 3,700 polygons (modeled in Blender) and three textures, all 100% hand painted in Substance Painter.

The first image has no lighting and uses only the hand painted shadows and AO - but for the second image I experimented with using some lighting, which worked better than I expected!

Visit taliesinriver.com or follow “taliesinriver” on instagram to see more of my work!

43 Likes

You’re on the #featured row! :+1:

1 Like

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

That’s some awesome stylized modeling and texturing!

I’d like to see a solid and wireframe shot as well.

Nice. You did a very good job with only 3k polys. Only the upper trees look a bit strange. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Thanks!
Here:

3 Likes

Awesome work, I love that painterly style-- did you unwrap it and paint over the pieces in 2d or do you have some sort of 3d model painting program?

1 Like

Thanks! I used Substance Painter which is 3D - I experimented with using photoshop as well but I found it difficult.

1 Like

Nice! I’ll have to try that. Yeah photoshop gets really laggy when I bring 3d objs in. Thanks!

By the way, Photoshop is going to remove the ability to open 3d objects in the near future, isn’t it?

Yeah it throws a message when you load an obj in that some features are already disabled. I used to like making normal maps with it but there are better normal map tools online you can use in browser. The 3d painting is near impossible as it gets too laggy for me.

Oh I didn’t even try painting in 3D actually, I just imported the UV map as a guide and tried to do it in 2D.