Foggy mountains

Hi! This is some experiment I did while studying GAEA, which I think is really cool to create realistic terrain. The terrain was then imported into blender where it was textured and “Vegetated” with geometry nodes. Also the clouds are made in blender procedurally. I’d love to make a longer video with landscapes, but in the meantime I hope you’ll like this little one! :slight_smile:

and a few “behind the scenes” shots

the tree scattering geo nodes noodles

the viewport

the clouds mesh

the clouds VDB object modifiers

23 Likes

Looks really good! Curious to know more about your cloud technique.

1 Like

I really like the lighting, the environment texturing and shading and how clouds looks.

One thing a bit at lower level as quality is, in my opinion, the vegetation.
You should improve trees scale (too big now), shape (too thin) and density (I’ll do more dense)

1 Like

Oh, and I was wondering, did you use a Z- or mist-pass, or are we seeing pure volumetrics?

1 Like

Really good! Nice mood and really good distribution of the vegetation!

I wish I had Gaea. Seen so many superb terrains being created it with in combination with blender.

Really nice scene! Looks like a nice a quiet place :slight_smile:
Have just one comment though and that is that much of the blue color we associate with water is from the reflections of the blue sky, but seeing that most of your sky that’s being reflected on the water is just white/grey clouds the lake shouldn’t really be that blue. Don’t know exactly how you made it blue, but try to dial it down a bit and the lake will most probably blend in better with the rest. :slight_smile:
But again, still a nice scene. Detailed and cosy!

2 Likes

Epic atmosphere!

1 Like

Basically you create a mesh for the overall shape of the clouds, the you can use a VDB object to convert it to volume and distort the clouds with some more modifier.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback! Everything should be in scale and the trees at the moment are between 10 and 15m high

Mist pass and real volumetric clouds

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback!

I see how it’s not realistic, but I really like the blue water. I think it adds a nice stylized fantasy vibe. Yes, it takes away from the photorealism, but in my opinion, it was worth the artistic quality. This of course, depends on the intentions though. :wink:

3 Likes

ok, so, now, I can’t say what it’s giving me a bad feedback about vegetation.
I don’t know…anyway …probably just mine problem.

I agree that the density could be higher. About the size I am not sure, but I checked again and the scale seems correct. If anything I was even thinking that for such pines 10-15m might even be too little :smiley:

Keep in mind that the mountain is not really high, just a few hundreds meters…

Yupp I can agree with that, I also tend to bend the realism a bit for a slightly
nicer looking render. So go for blue if you like it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

:+1:
Great work, congrats.

1 Like

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

1 Like

Thank you Bart!

1 Like