Folder freezing problem

Here’s my problem…I make a new folder on my desktop for a new project, and start saving files in the new folder. I save .blend, .jpg, and 3d model files. Eventually, after rendering a .jpg and saving the .blend, I access the folder to check the rendered image, and when I close the folder, my computer freezes. After that, my computer freezes every time I open that folder and try to close it. It’s like the folder is corrupt or something. This usually happens on larger projects.

I wasn’t sure at first if Blender, or one of the other programs I use was the problem, or maybe my computer. Then I started using Blender at work and had the same problem.

Does anyone have a solution for this problem?
Thanks in advance.

Somebody help please…HELLO? (echo, echo)

That’s strange that it would freeze on two different computers…are you using the same file on both your computers? Like, did you copy one file to another computer? In that case it might be you file that is corrupt.

No, it’s different files. It’s happened more than once. It seems to be on the larger projects when I’ve been working out of one folder for a while, but no duplicate files. I thought because of the larger files it might be a memory problem, but the computer at work has plenty.

Thanks for the reply though, I was starting to hear crickets.

I tried to post this yesterday, but my connection stopped. Anyway …

It’s just an idea, maybe nothing.
Perhaps it’s your anti-virus software. They can sometimes slow things down unbearably, like when opening directories with exe files, very big files or a large number of files; opening context menus; etc. Disable the AV and try again (e.g. in AVG, you can double-click on “Resident Shield” component and uncheck “Resident Shield active”).

You could also try to open your directory from a command-line prompt. Run “cmd” and “cd Desktop<your new directory>”, then do a “dir” to check if your files are displayed properly, “cp” them to another directory, etc.

Also, what happens if you open the directory and files from inside Blender instead of double-clicking them in Explorer (don’t touch Explorer at all this time)?

Maybe you have something like “Thumbnails” enabled in Explorer and it’s trying to preview (and therefore resize) a very large picture (the render).

I do have Norton on both computers so maybe it does have something to do with the anti virus. I’ll look into it anyway.

It only happens when I open the folder with IE. I can access from Blender or any other program with no problems. Also, I don’t think it happens when I Expore to access the folder, only when I open the folder directly.

I tried changing the view from thumbnails to list, but is there something else I need to do? Maybe in folder options or something. Anyway, I don’t think that’s the problem because sometimes I can copy all the files to another folder and delete the original and everythings fine, as long as I don’t rename the new folder the same thing.

Anyway, thanks for your hlep, you gave me some things to try.