Follow Path: Object Constraint (Blender 2.8)... Confusing!

Hello everyone!

I want to move an object (like a camera) along a path (nurbs circle). Using the follow path constraint, I was able to. However, its very unintuitive to me as I follow a procedural method to make it work. So, in my first working case, II have to have the constrainted object on the world origin before targetting the path to follow, then have to use “-Z” button for “forward” and “Y” drop-down option for “Up”. And, voila, I hit spacebar, and it works.

Edit: Now, I want to understand what I’ve been doing mechanically. So, my question(s): Why does it work this way? What is “forward” and “up” mean?

Please help!

Thanks! :slight_smile:

I’m not sure what you’re confused by? To move the object along the path, change the “offset” value, don’t move the object from the object origin. Moving the object is basically the same as moving the curve.

You may be looking for something more like a clamp-to constraint. You could also make a very thin, non-rendering mesh from your curve and use it for a shrinkwrap constraint. You might find these more intuitive for you to use.

Disabling constraints can lead to massive changes in world pos-- that’s why you register a visual before disabling. This is true for many more constraints than just a follow path constraint.

You can’t use the same axis for both forward and up, or the constraint won’t work.

Thanks! Maybe, my question is this:

What does “forward” and “up” mean? :slight_smile:

I don’t know why I am picking “-z” and “y” other than that it works. :frowning: I edited my original post to try to be more clear.

Forward mean the local direction of the constrained object “front”. And his up axis

1 Like