[Old] Font Selector - Dynamic font management in 3D view

@animani: I’m not saying its wrong to categorised with folders I just imagine “search” would be easier to implement.

@tonton: yeah, I got it :slight_smile:
Search - ah, thanks for pointing me to plus icon, I didn’t notice that, sorry, my fault :slight_smile:

hello i try to install and a error say

source file is in the add on searchpath /home/a/blender/276/blender-2.76b-linux-glibc211x86-64/2.76/scripts/addons

i have linux mate 17
blender 2.76b
how i istall the add on?

Hi, thanks for reporting. I didn’t try on 2,76, for now i only tried on 2,78 and 2,79.
Can you try on one of these versions ? just to be sure it’s a linux related problem (there is already one reported) or version related problem ?

Hi blenderheads !
i just gave font selector some love !

here’s the improvements of the new version :

Origin directories and subdirectories of the font are stored, you can display them in the classic list, or toggle with the subdirectory Mode, organising the fonts by these directories !

The addon now filtered the corrupted font file out, and store their name in a file in order to not try to import them again ! You can manually add some font to filter through the addon preferences !

A video about it ! (sorry for the poor english…)

Here’s the Gumroad :

The Github :

I didn’t have time to make a lot of test, so tell me here or on the github if anyone encounter bugs !

As usual, C&Cs are more than welcome !

Oh man you did it. I am so glad to see the new requested subfolder navigation. Thank you so much. The filter its another huge improvement. Brilliant!

hehe thanks man ! tell me if everythinh work as intended, i only had time to try on small font folders !

So far so good. Will let you know if I find any issues. Thanks again.

Just a little hotfix update !

v1.25 :

• fix .psb font, format is now supported by the addon
  • the refresh operator now print in the console some information about its activity

The Gumroad :

The Github :
https://github.com/samytichadou/Font…_blender_addon

Any plans for 2.8 support?
Thanks!

1 Like

yep, just have to find some spare time :wink:

2 Likes

hi guys, a bunch of people asked me about 2.8x support for font selector, so to keep you up to date, i m working on it right now.
I m first rewriting the addon for 2.7x with improvements and clearer code to allow a smoother transition for me (no profesional coder here :wink: ) and i ll port it as soon as this process is over ! i hope a (at least kind of beta) release on february ! font selector will be back, better than ever :wink:
if you want to check progress, you can go to the v2 branch on github, there is also a project roadmap (same github)
cheers guys !

1 Like

Great!, can’t wait too see a 2.8 version

1 Like

Hi guys, i recently updated Font Selector addon in version 2.0 !

It is still in beta stage and only available for 2.7x serie of Blender, but i hope to get some feedback on the improvements and start porting on 2.8 soon !

Come take a look on the product page to download the new version available ! (you can select Font Selector v2.0 beta1 from the product page)

Here’s the new features :

• All the addon was rewritten in multi file addon, now using json external files, optimised and faster than before

• New way of refreshing font list is now modal, you can continue working on Blender, the UI stay responsive and you can survey changes with a nice progress bar in properties panel

• Auto Update on startup if any fonts changes in your setup Font Folders, Blender will automatically and transparently updates the Font List

• You can now change several text objects fonts in one click

• New folder override system to toggle between your normal Font Folders, and a specific one (for example a project with only 10 authorized fonts from the artistic director)

• New Fake User button, taking advantage of the Blender built in system of Fake User to make a kind of per project favorites

• New Export system, giving you the choice of exporting as zip, or folder, the Favorites or Fake User fonts of Project

Here’s a quick and dirty video to show an overview of these features :

The gumroad page :

And the github release :

And that’s it !

Still in beta, so a few bug can occurs, don’t hesitate to report them through issue in the github page (accessible through the addon preferences)

Hope you’ll like this update !

Cheers !

Hey guys, great news ! Font Selector is available for blender 2.8 !

Here’s the beta for version 2 of the addon (see post above for changelog) :
https://github.com/samytichadou/FontSelector_blender_addon/tree/v2_blender_2_8

and thanks to the work of ceefit on github, here’s the branch for v1 of the addon for blender 2.8 :
https://github.com/samytichadou/FontSelector_blender_addon/tree/v1_for_blender_2_8

Few tweaks to make before stable release ! try it out and let me know what you think !

PS : for the version 2, i get rid of the override folder functionality, too clunky for now, maybe next version !

PS2 : in version 2 you may see a bug with the fake_user icons in the list, it seems to be due to blender beta stage, if anyone knows how to fix this let me know !

PS3 : i’m not sure how to use the single column layout code, if anyone is familiar with it, let me know too :wink:

Cheers !

1 Like

Hi guys, great news, font selector v2 beta for Blender 2.8 now supports

font changing for TEXT STRIPS in VIDEO SEQUENCER !

font_selector_text_strip

This brand new features of 2.8 version of blender is great, and the addon helps using it !
You can try out now and give feedbacks !

https://github.com/samytichadou/FontSelector_blender_addon/tree/v2_blender_2_8

cheers guys :smiley:

2 Likes

This is great. Thank you!

1 Like

This is such a useful add-on. Thank you for keeping it going!
Is there any difference between the version on github and gumroad?

1 Like

hi id211, thanks for kind words, glad you find the addon useful !
yep, the github version on v2 is actively developped, the one on gumroad is not, it s 2 weeks old, i froze it because it s easier for bug reports ! i ll update it for stable release but for now, i advice users to download the github one to have latest features !
cheers !

1 Like

Hi guys, fontselector v2.0 for blender 2.8 is out and stable !
As a lot of post from here are now outdated, i created a new thread for it,

Here’s the link :
https://blenderartists.org/t/font-selector-blender-2-8-font-management/

Come take a look ! :smiley:

cheers !

3 Likes