Footsteps in the grass

Hi all,

After lurking around this forum for a couple of months, I finally joined. Blender definitely seems to be an amazing tool from what I’ve seen so far.

Anyway, getting down to business:

The clip I’m setting out to animate at this stage involves a few layers - one, a frame-by-frame animation of a character’s legs running - and two, some nicely rendered 3d grass, which pushes down under his footsteps. The camera tracks along the side of the grass as the character stays in shot, running to the right. At some point I may add some trees etc whizzing past as well.

Here’s where I get stuck - I used the grass tutorial here to make a plane of grass with the particle system, textured the plane/grass blades up etc - but now I can’t figure out how to make it push down under the characters footsteps. Is there some kind of attribute I can add to a rough, transparent model of a foot, that would perhaps push the grass blades down?

Cheers for any help :slight_smile:

I don’t think this is that practical with the current particles. You could Parent some empties to the feet, and apply a Sphere Force Field to it, but that probably won’t work that well. In SVN, with the new particles, there is a mode in which you can basically sculpt the particulate, and I believe that a s part of the Peach project, you can have the particles deflect while in particle mode, so you can smulate a character walking through grass.

Egan is right, you probably want the SVN version of blender, you can download from Graphicall, I believe the Peach team discussed this a little while back, using forcefields on the feet to move the grass out of the way. I’ll try to update with some links.

edit** Here we go.

Thanks for the help guys - I thought it might involve some kind of workaround.

Okay, so I’ve got the SVN version of Blender - now to “use force fields on baked static particle systems”.

I’m not sure what this is referring to though - what am I baking and from what…?