For future reference...

I just wanted to know for future reference, which takes more memory:
a) A UV Sphere with 32 segments, 32 rings or
b) a UV Sphere with 16 segments, 16 rings, subsurfed once?

And that’s just an example, what I really meant if an object compared to another object of the same res because of subsurfing.

There will only be a few kilobytes difference (maybe 2 or 3). The memory usage comes when you add a Subsurf Modifier (increase number of Faces) and Textures, just for starters.

%<

A general method to answer those question is to start with an empty file in each case an to check out the RAM usage in the Preference header at the top of the screen, to the right. You’ll see that subsurfing adds very little overhead. Same if you save it.

J.

Hmm… okay, cause I heard someone say that you shouldn’t hit the apply button in the subsurf menu because it takes up more memory once they’re applied. Okay, that’s nice to know.

They were right.

J.

That’s strange. I would have thought apply should drop RAM usage. But hey. Maybe Subsurf calc is more efficient that I thought.

A general method to answer those question is to start with an empty file in each case an to check out the RAM usage in the Preference header at the top of the screen, to the right. You’ll see that subsurfing adds very little overhead. Same if you save it.

That info from Blender counts also undo, so it’s not so accurate if you have undo on. I think better is the info from render window.