For Modo user switching to Blender 2.8

Well as far as I know fbx will interpolate your mesh to have uvs anyway. So they will exist in 0-1 uv space on uv coordinate [0.0] That is how most of deleted UVs are handled.

1 Like

Early on this thread there is a discussion about work-planes in Blender .

In 2.81a I just discovered that you can align the view to origin of an object by selecting the object & hitting Shift + Num1, 3, 7 etc. You adjust the rotation of the origin as required with Ctl+period. This makes it easier to align your ortho views to an object that is at an odd angle in 3d space.
(You don’t need to select a face first before aligning your views to the object only to lose your view alignment options when you un-select the face to do further work on the mesh).

3 Likes

Can some one tell me about hard edges with catmull-clark subdivision.
In modo I increase weight for edge to 20% and with catmull-clark subdivision it render very sharp.
But how it can by done in blender?
In blender I drag Edge crease to 1 then add sds modifier and it sharp slightly…
and it goes more sharp when I increase sds level to 5+
but in modo level 2 was enough.

Looks like Modo has a different implementation of it…

Usually adding control loops gives more flexibility than marking sharp edges. I haven’t noticed any problem with sharpness and sds level.

Edge creasing and marking sharp are two different things. Creasing works in percentile values, mark sharp is a boolean(binary true/false) value.

1 Like

So analog of modo hard edges does not exist in blender?

Sharp edges are blender terminology for split normals, hence the boolean value, either it is split or not(true/false). Crease is the Catmull-Clark setting that dictates the influence the specific edge of the cage has over the SDS.

Looking at:
https://learn.foundry.com/modo/content/help/pages/uving/vertex_map_tools.html#SettingHardandSoftEdgeSmoothingOptions

it seems that marking edges sharp is what you are after. However when dealing with SDS you likely want to use both, edge creasing and edge sharpness.

1 Like

I started learning UV in a blender and ran into this editing problem.
In Modo I can select verts/edges/polys and move them with stretching closest surface.
Modo_UV_Edit
But in Blender it select non-UV connected verts/edges and I can’t modify only selected surface…
Blender_UV_Edit
So how to deal with this?
And when I select polygons in Modo it tear UV island only with “Tear Off” checked but in Blender it always On.

2 Likes

That is because you have enabled UV Sync Selection:

Screenshot 2020-01-13 at 13.18.03

Disable this and it will work as you expect.

Tearing off or not can be controlled with these options. Choose Disabled to let it tear off:
Screenshot 2020-01-13 at 13.21.22

Also, you might be glad to know that now in Blender 2.82, there are gizmos in the UV editor too. This is especially important if you use the Industry Compatible keymap.

5 Likes

Without that option I can’t see UV which I work with, only when I select some polygons.
I think there is nothing to be done here, apparently this is blender-like UV editing method.

2 Likes

Indeed, it’s a weak point. Basically many things don’t work so well when UV Sync Selection is enabled. Best to disable it.

We should either make that work better, of add another overlay to show you selected UVs in the 3D View.

9 Likes

Honestly, the UVs should always be visible in some form when selecting one or multiple objects or meshes, even in Object Mode and other modes besides Edit Mode. Make them greyed out or whatever to differentiate them from the selectable mesh/meshes and when you are inside or outside of Edit Mode, but this really needs to be done so you can get a better grasp of your UVs across all objects. It is one of my biggest gripes with UV mapping in Blender after transitioning over from Maya.

9 Likes

Blender Shape Key > Modo’s Morph Map.

I use Morph Maps for package design to store a folded version. Maybe I’m a noob with Modo’s morph maps but Blender Shape Keys are so much better since you can edit the mesh(modeling operations) without destroying Morph. Couple that with a solidify modifier you got total control over the thickness and materials.

Agreed here. Actually I went from Blender to Maya and I found the UV editing to be superior in a lot of ways and this was a main one.

1 Like

In Modo I often use “Selection” Action Center, and I never have problem with this.
In Blender closest thing to “Selection” is “Normal” (I think), but it work very strange.
Is it broken or calculates wrong values?
Modo example

Blender example
5 Likes

In Blender, the normal calculation in that case doesn’t work since there is no face normal. You can fake it by temporarily adding an internal face before doing the transform, but it should not be necessary, and indeed should be made to work correctly.

2 Likes

Ok, let’s testing this for selected polygons.
As You can see it’s not even work for polygons…or I’m doing something wrong…

Or it’s the same if I selected 2 loops instead of poly loop?

If you make an internal face and set the transform orientation based on that, it works.

No internal face. Orientation is wrong:

Added internal internal face. Orientation is correct:

Anyway, that is simply a bad workaround. Indeed it should work better.

4 Likes

Yep, former Modo user here too. Using the Normal orientation for the cursor is wrong here, and creating a custom transform orientation doesn’t work as expected either.

In fact, I can’t even select just one edge and get a correct orientation for the gizmo in Local mode. I wish more people were talking about this, it’s crucial base functionality that a lot of modeling is built upon.

3 Likes