For Modo user switching to Blender 2.8

cl2635, you can add nearly everything to your quick menu… even check boxes. Just right click, and add the function to the quick menu. These menus are seperated for any mode, so you might have to set these functions twice, e.g. for object and edit mode, etc.

And, aside this, I can strongly recommend tools like HardOps/BoxCutter and especially MeshOps. This will make much steps much more convenient, especially if you tend to use modifiers like mirror or batch functions like sharpen.

To clean up my .blend files I’m using “Atom Bomb”, now “Atomic Data Manager” to get rid of unused data blocks/materials/textures/etc. (Recently the tool was updated, I’ve totally overseen the newer and free version till last week)

1 Like

thank you to all the suggestions… Blender is a powerful and highly customizable software it seems. Will keep playing around and see what tools/add ons are best for what I need to do and add them as I go along. Trying to get familiar with default tools available in Blender first

This is always a good idea, using blender vanilla first (after dropping modo I did the same…)

1 Like

Disagree. I’d say that’s the worst idea of them all. Blender tools are half baked as they don’t have the same range of functionalities as Modos and they require roundabout ways to get things done. That way requires time to figure out what is what, learn roundabout ways of doing things and adjust to new keysetup needlesly. If he comes from Modo, the right way is to buy “Simple Modo to Blender config” which mimics basic Modo navigation and manipulation with widgets, “Mira tools” for bend/twist and other deformers, “interactive tools” for memorizing selections, instant edit mode, extrude tools etc., “kekit” also for modeling/mirroring/copypasting/extracting to new mesh as well as arrays; “Originie” or “Pivot transform” for origin manipulation and one of the several selection set addos. After that, he can sort out UV addons he likes.

This is why this thread is here in the first place so people don’t learn Blender the Blender way but to make it behave and work like Modo.

I am here to learn how to translate the Modo way into the Blender way
and to get an overview what is possible in Blender or what is missing.
I also appreciate the hints to AddOns that add some functionality.

Your point of view, fine.

For me, trying to emulate another program is imho a waste of time, understanding native program logic might help you solving problems at their roots, well invested time.

To add modo like functionality to Blender, as Kkar does, is great. Possible due to Blenders structure. (I think I was one of his first customers, an insta buy and a no brainer till now)

About half baked / available features and addons: Remember, neither Etérea tools, Mesh Fusion nor Mop were initially developed by luxo or foundry, maybe some routines of the last two mentioned were inspired by machin3 or teamb…

While I understand the logic I realize, that with the automation of workflow procedures by making them simpler and with vast available help contents, the time of learning native programs logic for edge case scenarios has well passed. In any case it’s an interesting choice, learning subpar tool workflows instead of customizing it to be on the higher level. If anything ex Modo community is lucky in that regard here.

I wouldn’t have anything against Blender working exactly like I am used
to by Modo. Like by UI overwriting and hidden use of Addons.
Would be much easier.

As long as this capable of working the way that user doesn’t feel any
differences. On the other hand I tried the same with Modo when starting
with Modo. I set my keymap to 3DSMax functionality.
Just to realize very soon, by watching tutorials, that it will hold me from
access of 30% of Modo functionality.
Once I accepted that Modo works different in everything I was used to
by CAD or similar to CAD 3DSMax workflows and realized that it works
better that way.
But I think that is an illusion that you can put any Apps workflow directly
over another App. Modo to Blender in that case.

I learned that the grass is always greener on the other side and each App B
has its parts where it does something so much better and easier than App A.
While being so much more complicated and tedious in other aspects, which
you were used as a one button click operation.

Blender is a bit special here as it still may not have the same amount of
functionality and features of most standard packages that you may be in need of.
But Blender, for me only starting since 2.8 release, looks and feels accessible
and watching some tutorials showed me that it can do your work.
The Blender Artists just use the existing Tools, without questioning them,
just because they are used to them.
This is where I want to get at some point.
(E.g. they just put in that meter cube each time, that I hate so much in C4D,
where in Modo you can create your Cube already in the dimension you need)

But similar to Modo that I would prefer in overall usage in general,
because I shake my head about how C4D works in some cases.
But there are certain features (Render Takes, CAD Exchange, Batch Rendering, …)
that make it so much better, faster and comfortable to do my ArchViz work
that I have to work with C4D instead. (For over 6 years now)

And this is what currently holds me from actively using or learning Blender.
Or even seriously switching. Its is about some bit of missing features,
currently still really important for my work.

If I would have started my 3D work in Blender, I surly wouldn’t even know what I
would or should miss in Blender and would just do my work.
Just if you already know a bunch of Apps in your profession, you will always
get depressed by the App you are currently using AND the App you try to
switch to next.

Zoomer,

the magic word for me is adaption in general. If needed. If your workflow is fine and you know workarounds, perfect, I would keep my workflow and tools of trade as long as possible.

“The Blender Artists just use the existing Tools, without questioning them,
just because they are used to them.”

Or they start to develop addons. And Blender has some major benefits for me. I don’t have to fear any startup problem caused by a strange licensing system a la modo, I dont have to fear any Softimage trauma or any subscription model.

" E.g. they just put in that meter cube each time, that I hate so much in C4D,
where in Modo you can create your Cube already in the dimension you need"

Might be that some features/functions are subpar to modo TODAY, as Frostensen said, but tbh, Blender evolves every day, as you will see below…

Have a look at 2.20:

1 Like

Have anyone figure out how to setup Modos Reflection view in Blender?
Blender have many matcaps but most of them not so useful in compare to Modos Reflection cos it always align to the view in one direction and with this easy to catch bumpiness on the model surface.
Maybe I can setup something similar but I can’t even find what matcap used in Modo for Reflection view…

What about this, hav’nt we all got it?

You could always capture the zbrush reflection matcap and import it into blender… I think…thats if you’re a zbrusher.

Yes, it’s closest one but not the same, very bright center.
I’ll try to modify it a bit…
But if someone found Modo’s matcap - share it pls.

How does it looks like? (it’s been a while since I used modo lol…)

Look like this

it’s just print screen with sphere in Reflection Viewport.
Is it illegal to make from this Matcap?

1 Like

Hi, @APEC , there is a huge matcap collection on GitHub. - https://github.com/nidorx/matcaps
Maybe you can find one that suits your needs.

1 Like

What is the easiest way to add ‘Edge Weight’ to your edges of your models? Are there multiple ways to do it in Blender? like default software way and using Add-On? When you’re done, how do you export out the subd mesh for 3d printing so the edge weights hold?

That should work

As I already mentioned above.
Select edges and in “Crease” field type value, but read about values (link inside).

Summary

Export to FBX with checkbox “Export Subdivision Surface”

Summary

1 Like

Do 3d printers accept .fbx file? Or did you mean save it out as .fbx file and then export that out as an .stl file? Sorry, I’m not too familiar. I actually only recently started using .fbx file when I transitioned to Blender and needed to open my Modo models. For 3d printing, I’ve only used stl file.

As I understood, you want model made in Modo open in Blender, then modify it and use as .stl for 3d printing?
If so, then you need to export model as .fbx from Modo, then import in Blender, modify it, then apply all modifiers and export it as .stl file for 3d printing.
P.S. checkbox “Apply modifiers” when export as .stl is on by default (in 2.92), so you no need to apply before export

1 Like