Forum Avatars?

That’s a no-no at the moment. Also, only part of the issue is space and bandwidth at the elYsiun end, there’s also a concern about bandwidth at the user’s end.

Imp

I don’t know about anybody else but it’s a royal pain as it is surfing phpBB.com (http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/) with all of the linked images on a 56k . . . :stuck_out_tongue:

I know about 2 years ago someone speaking in front of my networking class said something like “we hope in 5 years, that there will be fiber at every home, and it will be the only one data line into and out of the home, taking the place of the telephone line, TV cable, DSL and Cable internet…” I don’t remember which company he was from, but I don’t think that’s all gonna happen in 3 years. :frowning: A guy can still dream though.

I should’ve mentioned that at my house back home we still can’t get cable TV or pizza delivery yet (neither run out that far). Luckily, for the boonies we have very good power reliability… it rarely goes out, and when it does, it comes back on VERY quickly. Benefit of having a seafood cold-storage plant next to us on the river. Heck, power was more reliable back home than here on this Marine Corps base, lol But I have found out that we can get DSL :slight_smile:

Imp

lets hope Holland has the privaledge to have fiber at every home…well…we’re small enough country for it? Damn greedy bastards :stuck_out_tongue:

if the dutch goverment is smart they will create the infrastructure for it!

there is one kind of solution. Why not add an avatar to the profile?
It wouldn´t cost any considerable bandwidth, but allows to express oneself.

HH

Hey!! We could make the avatars out of text! Ya! Make little pictures with numbers and letters! Woohoo!

Avatars have no practical purpose. Yes, they are fun, but they are far from neccessary. And, in this case, the bandwidth problems posed by avatars outway the fun factor.

(BTW: bandwidth on the recieving side (i.e the clients) is also an issue. For instance, at home I have 56k modem.)

I’m sure they are. Boy, the last five years here in Los Angeles, in downtown especially (really congested from it) you’d see them digging in conduit for fiber optic lines all over the place. They start where the biggest business centers are (ie highrises) so the closer you are to them, the sooner you’ll have it available to you.

It’s been really interesting. I live within a mile of a major boulevard, but at the very end of it, so there aren’t too many big office buildings there, but close enough. I hope our home will have access to fiber optics some day. It will be probably in 8 to 10 years though, since most of the first companys that layed down that conduit are now out of business. Not enough customers to pay for the huge cost of setting up an infrastructure, but the good news is that its there. It exists and someone will pick up where it’s been left off. Boy howdy, though, what an effert that must be put forth to get an infrastructure set up! Fiber optics have to be spliced with a booster thingy, LOL. The energy has to be boosted after a certain distance, because light “leaks” out or is diminished. A whole new world to most of the electricians who do the work. Really cool stuff.

In the mean time, I can’t believe they still haven’t gotten DSL working in my area, this is getting ridiculous . I mean, what’s the point in living in a big ugly city if you can’t at least get these types of benefits? LOL

Oh well, Interesting times, interesting times, boy I’m getting old :stuck_out_tongue:

Ingie

there is actually alot of fiber in the ground here,… but the last part is coper, which basicly ruins the fun! :slight_smile:

About the avatars,… first the new elYsiun needs to be in place and running for a while,… after that I can start looking into adding extra things to elYsiun.
It all depends on the bandwith though.

Electricians and not telcom guys? No wonder they went out of business… hehe, just being nitpicky.

Yeah… there’s something about DSL only being able to go so many miles before it turns digital. I think we’re just lucky because when we go back home we’ll have DSL way out in the boonies. :slight_smile: Pure luck. I think two reasons, one being Baldwin Co. is the fastest growing county in Alabama, so they’ve had to work on infrastructure and the last time our area was upgraded, they went digital to the substations… I think, it’s been a long time since I took datacom, and two being the telco has been an ISP since at least '95 (GulfTel). Hehe… rednecks with broadband. :stuck_out_tongue:

Imp